28.1892, FYI: Linguistics Data Interest Group Call for Members

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 21 01:00:29 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1892. Thu Apr 20 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1892, FYI: Linguistics Data Interest Group Call for Members

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:00:22
From: Lauren Gawne [l.gawne at latrobe.edu.au]

Linguistics Data Interest Group (LDIG) - Call for members and request for
comment on draft Charter Statement

Data are fundamental to the field of linguistics. Yet, while linguists have
always relied on language data, we have not always had the means or incentive
to facilitated access to those data. This disconnect between linguistics
publications and their supporting data results in much linguistic research
being unreproducible, either in principle or in practice. Without
reproducibility, linguistic claims cannot be readily validated or tested,
rendering their scientific value moot.

The Linguistics Data Interest Group (LDIG)  has been established through the
Research Data Alliance (RDA) and aims to develop the discipline-wide adoption
of common standards for data citation and attribution. In our parlance
citation refers to the practice of identifying the source of linguistic data,
and attribution refers to mechanisms for assessing the intellectual and
academic value of data citations. The LDIG aims to encourage an international
discussion of these topics, bolstering discussions that are already happening
in specific sub-disciplines of linguistics in different countries.

The LDIG is for people who work with linguistic and language data. This work
includes, but is not limited to, the collection, management and analysis of
linguistic data. We encourage participation from academic and speaker
communities.

The LDIG objective is to provide tangible guidelines, software and other tools
for improving the culture of data citation and attribution within linguistics.
More information on the aims and structure of the LDIG is given in the Charter
Statement.

A draft of the Charter Statement is available on the RDA website:
https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/linguistics-data-interest-group/case-stateme
nt/linguistics-data-interest-group-charter

Comments are being sought until the 8th of May. All comments from the
community and the RDA Technical Advisory Board will be integrated into the
final Charter Statement. To comment you need to sign up as a member of the
RDA. To do so is free, and does not obligate you to participate in the LDIG,
however we welcome as members anyone who is interested in shaping the future
of how data is managed in our field.

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/