28.2927, Confs: Historical Ling, Phonetics, Phonology/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 4 19:58:06 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2927. Tue Jul 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2927, Confs: Historical Ling, Phonetics, Phonology/United Kingdom

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 15:57:55
From: Patrick Honeybone [patrick.honeybone at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: Workshop on Laryngeal Features in Historical Phonology

Workshop on Laryngeal Features in Historical Phonology

Date: 29-Nov-2017 - 29-Nov-2017
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact: Patrick Honeybone
Contact Email: patrick.honeybone at ed.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/symposium-on-historical-phonology/3esohph-fringe.html

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

Call for interest: Workshop on Laryngeal Features in Historical Phonology

Edinburgh, Wednesday 29 November

http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/symposium-on-historical-phonology/3esohph-fringe.html

The workshop is a 'fringe' satellite meeting, timed to coincide with the Third
Edinburgh Symposium on Historical Phonology:

http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/symposium-on-historical-phonology/

Background:
Given that there will be a number of people who are interested in historical
phonology in Edinburgh the day before the Third Edinburgh Symposium on
Historical Phonology, we thought that we could make use of this to hold a
satellite workshop devoted to the ways in which laryngeal features influence
or are involved in phonological change. This workshop is intended to be a
relatively informal venue for discussion of such issues. It is not a formal
part of the symposium and everyone is welcome to attend.

Topic:
The inventory, nature and use of laryngeal features are classically
controversial areas of phonological theory, and many of these issues have
attracted considerable discussion in and evidence from diachronic phonology.
Questions that are both classic and live in this area include:

- which features are needed: [voice], [stiff], H, [constricted] etc?

- are they binary or privative?

- how can obstruent laryngeal features lead to tonogenesis?

- (how) do obstruent laryngeal features cause vowel shortening or lengthening?

- should languages with two series of obstruents always have their constrast
characterised using a single feature (such as [(±)voice])? or does a taxonomy
using multiple features (e.g., [(±)voice] and [(±)spread glottis]) make better
predictions, as in Laryngeal Realism? or does a more abstract approach yield
better insights, as in a substance-free framework?

We hope that this workshop will enable the participants and audience to
discuss these issues and to consider the extent to which they are, or are not,
connected.

Speakers:
If you are interested in taking part in the session, email us by 7th August to
let us know. Once we hear what the interest is, we will come up with a plan
for the workshop. We are:

- Patrick Honeybone (patrick.honeybone at ed.ac.uk)
- Pavel Iosad (pavel.iosad at ed.ac.uk)
- Michael Ramsammy (m.ramsammy at ed.ac.uk)

Attending:
It will be free to attend the workshop, and it will be held in a building
close to where the Symposium on Historical Phonology will be held, in the
central campus of the University of Edinburgh.

          http://multitree.org/