28.1231, Jobs and Journals: Letter from LINGUIST List Editor, Amanda Foster

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 13 15:40:47 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1231. Mon Mar 13 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1231, Jobs and Journals: Letter from LINGUIST List Editor, Amanda Foster

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:40:26
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Subscribers and Followers,

Bonjour! My name is Amanda, I’m in the 2nd year (in the final stretch!) of my
MA in Linguistics at Indiana University. I also am the LINGUIST List Editor
for Job announcements, Tables of Contents and Journal Calls for Papers, and I
maintain the Journal database - and I edit any other submissions in French
that come our way :) I started at LINGUIST List in Fall 2015, at that time I
was paid hourly, but thanks to your donations last year, LINGUIST List was
able to hire me as a Graduate Assistant here in Fall 2016! I am writing to you
to show you how much impact LINGUIST List has already had on my own life, so
that you may see how far even the small donations you make can go.

First of all, I would like to express my deep gratitude to those of you who
donated last year. When I started the program in Fall 2015, I was not
financially sure that I would be able to continue past my first year into the
program, in order to graduate. The fact that LINGUIST List was able to hire
four GAs instead of 2 is a direct consequence of your donations.

Let me tell you how I got acquainted with LINGUIST List for the very first
time, as an Undergraduate student back home. I am originally from France
(right here: http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/pages/AmandaFoster/), and at
the time I was looking for a university program that could match my interest.
That’s how I found Indiana University, from the student portal:
http://linguistlist.org/studentportal/. LINGUIST List also helped me find my
very first Internship  through the Student portal, and today as I prepare to
begin my professional career, I am so thankful for the Jobs and Student
Support pages of the website! (http://linguistlist.org/jobs/)

Being an editor at LINGUIST List benefits me more than financially. Every day,
as I edit your submissions, I am able to gain a closer understanding of the
field of Linguistics.

But my favorite part about working at the LINGUIST List is that it provides a
connection between linguists from around the globe, and working here enables
me to be part of this community. This is such an incredible opportunity: as we
all strive towards the common goal of reaching a better understanding of our
world and the people who inhabit it, we are actually able to connect with each
other at more than a theorical level. By donating, you enable us to provide
the means to support this worldwide community.

Your donation, however small or large, has the potential to affect so many
lives: those of researchers around the world who use LINGUIST List, perhaps
your own research, and certainly my own life.

So, thank you for your ongoing, vital support. Please consider donating today:

Sincerely,
Amanda

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.