28.2240, Qs: Region or Origin of Possible Dialect Variant Usage

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 17 15:28:12 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2240. Wed May 17 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2240, Qs: Region or Origin of Possible Dialect Variant Usage

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 11:28:05
From: Stephanie Wendler [zeezee322 at gmail.com]

Hi All,

I'm working on an SEO project about cremation urns, and I noticed an
interesting term used for cremation urns for which I have no context:
Cremation vases or cremation vase.  'vase' seems odd to me.  It represents a
viable variant for urn in this context because it returns results in
analytics, etc., and I am wondering if anyone knows the origin of this term
and/or its regional usage.  It strikes me as either regionally specific (the
South maybe?) or perhaps age specific, i.e. older populations are aware of
this term and use it, possibly, interchangeably or solely to refer to
cremation urn.  I realize that both urn and vase could possibly refer,
semantically, to other referents, i.e. garden planters [urn] or a container
for flowers [vase] which necessitates a modifier [cremation] for
disambiguation purposes, but I can't find info on where this term 'cremation
vase' originates, and where it is most used.  Any ideas/info/points in the
right direction would be awesome.  Thanks for any time you've got for
assistance on this!

Steph Wendler

                     General Linguistics
                     Historical Linguistics