28.2412, Qs: NYTimes Inquiry: Origins of the Word ''bat''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 31 17:01:50 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2412. Wed May 31 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2412, Qs: NYTimes Inquiry: Origins of the Word ''bat''

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 13:01:41
From: Deborah Acosta [deborah.acosta at nytimes.com]
Subject: NYTimes Inquiry: Origins of the Word ''bat''

Hi,

I'm a journalist at The New York Times, and I'm looking for the origins of the
word ''bat'' as it's currently used today to refer to clubs used in the game
of baseball.

I'm wondering if that word existed in the 15th century and before, and if so,
where it came from.

In Spanish, the word is ''bate''.

Thanks so much,

Deborah Acosta
cell: 305-877-2367
office: 212-556-8497

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

          http://multitree.org/