28.4829, FYI: Online Lecture: ''Neurolinguistics and aphasia''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 16 15:16:51 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4829. Thu Nov 16 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4829, FYI:  Online Lecture: ''Neurolinguistics and aphasia''

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 10:16:45
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online Lecture: ''Neurolinguistics and aphasia''

Thursday, November 16th, 2pm EDT
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Aphasia rehabilitation: what we learn from neurolinguistics

Sylvie Moritz-Gasser, PhD
Université Montpellier, France

Aphasia is a devastating acquired language impairment mainly caused by stroke.
Each year, more than 4 million people in the world are affected by post-stroke
aphasia, which thus constitutes a major, yet dramatically little known, public
health concern. Because language is a quintessential feature of the human
being, it is crucial to enable patients to reach the best recovery as
possible. If speech-language therapy has been shown to be effective, the
efficiency of one therapeutic strategy over another remains a matter of
debate, and conventional therapies have so far not really proved their worth.
Because clinical presentations are infinitely various, the time has come to
wonder how to build a specific rehabilitation program for each aphasic
patient. In this regard, neurolinguistics, from cognitive/clinical
neuroscience to functional neuroanatomy and psycholinguistic, brings us
valuable insights that we discuss here. We focus in particular on anomia, a
central feature in aphasia, and on its links with other aphasic symptoms. We
bring clinical and theoretical-based hypotheses about the mechanisms
underlying anomia, while explaining why this symptom is the key clinical
feature in every aphasic patient, and then propose a neurolinguistics-based
methodology to design individualized rehabilitation programs.

The lecture will be held at the Université Montpellier, France, and broadcast
live.

Viewing event at the University of South Carolina:
Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, November 16th, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The viewing event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173