28.4376, Support: English; Applied Linguistics: PhD, University of Hong Kong

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 23 16:41:22 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4376. Mon Oct 23 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4376, Support: English; Applied Linguistics: PhD, University of Hong Kong

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:41:20
From: Michael Yeldham [myeldham at hku.hk]

 Institution/Organization: The University of Hong Kong
Department: Centre for Applied English Studies
Web Address: https://caes.hku.hk/home/courses/mphil-phd-studies/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Centre for Applied English Studies at HKU encourages applications for Ph.D
or M. Phil positions from candidates whose research interests match those of
our Centre. A scholarship is available to an applicant (or applicants) with
outstanding academic results from a top-level university, while those with the
equivalent of honours grades in their Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees are
eligible for positions as self-funded students – currently costing HK $42,100
(approx. US$5,400) per year for full-time PhD students.

The Centre has expertise in a number of areas. It is particularly strong in
linguistics as applied to English language education at university level; at
the moment, we especially welcome applicants interested in the following topic
areas: Workplace communication; EMI (English as a Medium of Instruction);
Computer Assisted Writing; and Pragmatics and language Education.

Application can be made at any time of the year, although we generally advise
scholarship applicants to aim for the main round deadline in early December by
submitting their application before the end of November (for admission in
September of the following year).

Potential applicants should initially contact the Postgraduate Admissions
Advisor, Dr. Michael Yeldham (myeldham at hku.hk), providing a CV, transcripts of
previous university grades, and an overview of the proposed research.

You will then need to write a proposal for an expansive,
theoretically-grounded and well-designed research study, with a review of the
literature, your research questions, research methodology, expected findings
and significance. You would need to write about 5-6 pages, single-spaced (not
including references and appendices). The study should preferably have
relevance to the Hong Kong/China context, or to the wider applied linguistics
context.

Applications for MPhil/PhD studies are centralized at our university.
Application guidelines and forms can be obtained from the Graduate School web
site: http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/
Information on the research postgraduate programme in our Centre is at:
http://caes.hku.hk/home/courses/mphil-phd-studies/

The Centre is a unit under the Faculty of Arts. So please be sure to check the
application requirements on the Faculty site as well:
http://arts.hku.hk/current-students/postgraduate/research-postgraduate

Guidelines and conditions for scholarships are also available on the Graduate
School website.

Our University has a policy of checking for plagiarism in the applicant's
Vision Statement, Proposed Research Plan and Research Proposal. We will
provide you with relevant information nearing the submission deadline.

Answers to other frequently asked questions are at:
http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/faq

Application Deadline: 30-Nov-2017

Web Address for Applications: http://www.gradsch.hku.hk/gradsch/

Contact Information: