28.3762, Calls: Gen Ling, Semantics, Syntax, Typology/Russia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 13 19:22:09 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3762. Wed Sep 13 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3762, Calls: Gen Ling, Semantics, Syntax, Typology/Russia

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 15:21:57
From: Elizaveta Khachaturyan [elizaveta.khachaturyan at ilos.uio.no]
Subject: Past Events: The Remote Past and Recent Past

Full Title: Past Events: The Remote Past and Recent Past

Date: 19-Apr-2018 - 20-Apr-2018
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia
Contact Person: Elizaveta Khachaturyan
Meeting Email: past-events at ilos.uio.no

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Typology

Call Deadline: 30-Sep-2017

Meeting Description:

The focus of this symposium will be contrastive approaches. We will
investigate how we talk about past events in different languages that belong
to different language groups: Slavic, Germanic (with a special focus on the
Scandinavian subgroup), and Romance. Special attention will be devoted to a
comparison of Russian and Norwegian. There will also be a special focus on
Italian and/or other Romance languages compared to Slavic and/or Scandinavian
languages.

Verbal tense and aspect continue to attract attention from scholars. In recent
decades, many new studies have appeared and new approaches have been proposed,
but these studies often concentrate on languages from the same language group.
There is clearly a need for contrastive studies of verbal tense and aspect
that can provide a more general overview of the phenomenon from a
cross-linguistic perspective.

Thus, the focus of this symposium will be contrastive approaches. We will
investigate how we talk about past events in different languages that belong
to different language groups: Slavic, Germanic (with a special focus on the
Scandinavian subgroup), and Romance. Special attention will be devoted to a
comparison of Russian and Norwegian. There will also be a special focus on
Italian and/or other Romance languages compared to Slavic and/or Scandinavian
languages.

Questions that we will address and discuss at the workshop include, but are
not limited to, the following:

- Can we say that different languages or language groups use different means
to express similar strategies?
- Can we find meanings in a source language that cannot be expressed in or
translated into a given target language because a grammatical category is
''missing'' in the target language? Or will this grammatical category be
compensated for at other levels of linguistic structure (e.g., lexical or
textual)?
- Russian has a Slavic type of tense and aspect system. What happens in
(translations into) Scandinavian languages, in which aspectual differences are
almost absent, or at least not grammaticalized, or in (translations into)
Romance languages, in which aspect is, arguably, part of the temporal
characteristics? How are these different systems acquired by bilinguals or in
second language acquisition?
- One direction for the discussion will be the difference between ''remote,''
''recent,'' and ''relevant'': Are there any differences (from a grammatical
and discursive point of view) between various ways of talking about events
that have different status in our lives?

Call for Papers:

Symposium: “Past Events: The Remote Past and Recent Past”

Time and place: April 19 - 20 , 2018, Norwegian University Center in St.
Petersburg

[...]

Against this background, we invite abstracts (in Russian or English) for
thirty-minute talks (plus five to ten minutes for questions) of no more than
one and a half A4 pages (Times New Roman, 12 point, line spacing 1.5) to be
sent to past-events at ilos.uio.no by September 30, 2017. The following should be
explicitly described in the abstract: the theoretical background, research
questions, languages and data analyzed, and name and affiliation of the
author(s). The symposium welcomes analyses based on various theories and
approaches, seen from different perspectives (e.g., syntax, semantics,
pragmatics, etc.).

Among the aims of the symposium are:

– Establishing a network that will bring together researchers from Russia,
Norway, and other countries working on similar topics;
– Working out some common guidelines that can serve as a basis for a research
project that we would like to prepare in 2017–2018; and
– Publishing a special issue with the symposium proceedings.

Organizing committee:

Elizaveta Khachaturyan, University of Oslo
(elizaveta.khachaturyan at ilos.uio.no)
Silje Susanne Alvestad, University of Oslo (s.s.alvestad at ilos.uio.no)

Scientific committee:

Elena Gorbova, St. Petersburg State University
Maria Voeikova, ILI RAN, St. Petersburg
Silje Susanne Alvestad, University of Oslo
Elizaveta Khachaturyan, University of Oslo
Hana Filip, Heinrich-Heine University, Düsseldorf
Laura Janda, University of Tromsø – The Arctic University of Norway
Lucyna Gebert, La Sapienza, University of Rome
Hanne M.Eckhoff, University of Oxford

          http://multitree.org/