29.3091, Jobs: Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics: Post Doc, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 3 19:02:05 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3091. Fri Aug 03 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3091, Jobs: Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics: Post Doc, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 15:01:36
From: Nora Boneh [nora.boneh at mail.huji.ac.il]
Subject: Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics: Post Doc, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel

University or Organization: The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Department: The Language, Logic and Cognition Center
Job Location: Jerusalem, Israel
Web Address: https://scholars.huji.ac.il/llcc/home
Job Title: Post-Doctoral Researcher
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics

The Language, Logic and Cognition Center (LLCC) at The Hebrew University of
Jerusalem (https://scholars.huji.ac.il/llcc/home), is an interdisciplinary
research center engaged in issues pertaining to language, crossing boundaries
of linguistics, philosophy, psychology, and computer science. We are
recruiting a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 12 months, beginning in
October, 2018, with possible renewal for another 12 months, in the following
research areas:
- Linguistics: semantics, pragmatics
- Psycholinguistics

The position is funded by the Niedersachsen-Israel Grant "Talking about
causation: linguistic and psychological perspectives" awarded to Elitzur
Bar-Asher Siegal, (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem), Nora Boneh (The Hebrew
University of Jerusalem) and York Hagmayer (Universität Göttingen).

Causation is a central concept in human experience and is therefore studied
from various perspectives in many different disciplines, among them
philosophy, linguistics and cognitive psychology. Philosophical accounts of
causation have strongly influenced theoretical models in linguistics and
psychology. Therefore, it is quite surprising that there is hardly any
collaborative research between psychologists and linguists on causation. In
the current project, we aim to investigate the notion or the notions of
causation jointly by combining methodologies from both fields.

Our research is based on findings in cognitive psychology, which indicate that
people have a pluralistic conception of causation in which different
representations of causality co-exist in people's mind. We plan to
experimentally study the different notions of causation that people entertain
when they use different causative constructions to describe causal relations
in the world. This project takes linguistic analysis as the starting point for
empirical research.

The postdoctoral fellow will be expected to conduct research related to the
project, to be in charge of the experiments to be carried out in Israel, and
to be responsible for minor organizational tasks. The successful candidate
will be expected to integrate in the LLCC academic community.

The starting date is October 2018. We will, however, consider candidates who
can start only on January 2019.

Applicants should provide:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- List of publications
- Research statement, indicating how it is related to the above mentioned
project (2 pages)
- 2 reference letters, to be sent directly to the email indicated below

For inquiries and submission of applications please contact Elitzur Bar-Asher
Siegal: ebas at mail.huji.ac.il

Candidates must be awarded a PhD prior to the beginning of the postdoctoral
fellowship

Email Address for Applications: ebas at mail.huji.ac.il
Contact Information:
	Elitzur Bar-Asher Siegal