29.3254, Diss: Bathari; Anthropological Linguistics; Language Documentation: Fabio Gasparini: ''Baṭḥari Language of Oman: Towards a Descriptive Grammar''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 23 15:25:56 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3254. Thu Aug 23 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3254, Diss:  Bathari; Anthropological Linguistics; Language Documentation: Fabio Gasparini: ''Baṭḥari Language of Oman: Towards a Descriptive Grammar''

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 11:25:01
From: Fabio Gasparini [fabio.gsparini at gmail.com]

Institution: Università degli studi di Napoli L'Orientale
Program: Asian, African and Mediterranean Studies
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2018

Author: Fabio Gasparini

Dissertation Title: Baṭḥari Language of Oman: Towards a Descriptive Grammar

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Language Documentation

Subject Language(s): Bathari (bhm)

Dissertation Director(s):
Riccardo Contini
Giorgio Banti

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation concerns a preliminary description of the Baṭḥari language
of Oman.  My interest in Baṭḥari rises from it being one of the few Semitic
languages for which a grammatical analysis has not been carried out yet. Its
status of extreme endangerment and imminent death added even more curiosity
and desire to get to know the language and its speakers. Notwithstanding all
the difficulties that such a goal inevitably entails, I can genuinely say that
I managed to achieve most part of my initial purposes: as to say, to develop
an unprecedented analysis of Baṭḥari and fill a considerable gap in MSAL and
Semitic studies as a whole. Future research will hopefully add new, very much
needed details on this subject. Baṭḥari being an endangered language on the
verge of extintion, I tried to focus my analysis on the traits that the
speakers consistently share. However, variation will be addressed where
pertinent.  My work covers the most relevant phono-morphological features of
the language, with minor insights into syntax and semantics. Chapter 1 gives a
general introduction to MSAL studies, to Baṭḥari and presents the background
of my research. Chapter 3 is devoted to an analysis of Baṭḥari phonology, with
major attention to topics such as the realisation of emphatics and the
relationship between stress, vowel length and syllabic structure. Chapters
from 4 to 10 cover the main morphological categories of Baṭḥari. A very brief
report over Baṭḥari syntax and lexicon is given in chapters 11 and 12. Lastly,
a sample text is reported in chapter 13.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: