29.1403, Fun Fact: Over 10,000 Jobs Posted on the LINGUIST List!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 30 21:57:37 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1403. Fri Mar 30 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1403, Fun Fact: Over 10,000 Jobs Posted on the LINGUIST List!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 17:42:34
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear Readers,

The jobs area of the LINGUIST List is a place for companies and universities
to post job announcements. This is one of the busiest areas of the listserv.
Over 10,000 jobs have been submitted over the LINGUIST List to date. Clare  is
our primary editor tackling this task with support from Sarah. This week's fun
fact is going to shed a little light on the variety of submissions we receive.

As I'm sure you know, linguistics touches on a large number of other fields.
Linguists are doing linguistics in jobs all around the world, interacting with
people working in other disciplines daily. This is apparent by the job
submissions we receive.

The graph below shows the 32 top department names for job submissions along
with how many jobs these departments submit to us. This was created by
querying our database for the top 50 most common and then manually combining
ones that were the same (e.g. Department of Linguistics and Linguistics
Department were both changed into Linguistics).

https://blog.linguistlist.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/JobsByDept.png

That's quite a spread in different areas you all are working in!

Maybe you're someone who found a job by using the LINGUIST List or maybe you
found the right candidate by announcing a job opening here. If you appreciate the
work that we do to bring job postings to you, please consider donating on our Fund Drive
homepage to help us reach our goal: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Gratefully,
Your LINGUIST List Team