29.1973, FYI: Call for Chapters - Asian Linguistic Anthropology

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 9 14:32:22 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1973. Wed May 09 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1973, FYI: Call for Chapters - Asian Linguistic Anthropology

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 10:31:28
From: CALA Conference [info at cala.asia]

Call for Chapters:

Monograph series on Asian Linguistic Anthropology
Routledge Taylor and Francis Global - CALA / COMELA

Following the significant success of the CALA, The (annual) Conference on
Asian Linguistic Anthropology, and its sibling, the COMELA, The (annual)
Conference on Mediterranean Linguistic Anthropology, we invite proposals for
chapters for a book series on (Asian) Linguistic Anthropology. The rhetoric on
and scholarship of Linguistic Anthropology emanates from its discipline, born
and fostered throughout the 20th Century, which has now newly found further
particularization in the Asian context. The complexity of Linguistic
Anthropology, and the networking of that field with a host of other fields
(Sociology, Politics, Economics, Cultural studies, Religion, and on and on),
as well as the particularization of universal frameworks and laws, such as
cultural worldview, legitimization and authorization of social theory,
semiotics, and language socialization, to name but a small sub section of the
larger field that is Linguistic Anthropology, renders this subject highly
unexplored in relation to Asian and other contexts. Furthermore, this
complexity has permeated Anthropological discourse since its inception, in the
works of Boas, Malinowski, Bakhtin, Hymes, Jakobson, and current cornerstone
figures such as Duranti, Silverstein, Ochs, and Agha, yet work now needs to
well extend to the Asian context, and which would decentralize geocentric
focus on the field. We envision this text to become very multidimensional,
thus incorporating a diverse set of fields, such as Theory, Method and
Methodology, Empirical findings, Critical thought, and Philosophical
deconstructions of Linguistic Anthropological discourse.

Submitted chapter proposals should not read as formulaic, but rather, should
speak to the author’s thoughts, concerns, emotions, encounters, dilemmas,
perceptions of consistencies and inconsistencies, and personal philosophies,
as well as their applied and conceptualized discourses of Linguistic
Anthropology. Here, authors must consider which aspects of (Asian) Linguistic
Anthropology make most sense to themselves as authors, and which of these
aspects the authors have employed as central to their own lifeworlds, so to
subvert their own limitations, and which aspects have become mainstay to the
lives of the authors and communities within which they (you) engage. Please
consider all of these factors, while attempting to expand into new realms of
scholarship, and experimental ideas in Linguistics and Anthropology, together
with the patently vast array of pertinent fields.

Topics:

We recommend the following topics, relative to the Asian context, but we ask
that the submissions absolutely do not limit themselves to these, but rather,
attempt to expand well past these following topics.

- Ethnography
- Symbolism, iconicity, and indexicality
- Spatial and temporal frames
- Agency and the equilibrium between the individual and the social
- Methodology
- Language contact
- Multifunctionality
- Language endangerment and revitalization
- Universality vs. particularity
- Linguistic relativity
- Language socialization
- Speech (and sociocultural) communities practice
- Language, globalization, and transnational flows
- Language and identity
- Ethnography of language
- Structuralism and post structuralism
- Ethics in research
- Cultural determinism and relativism
- Critical approaches and reflexivity
- Sociolinguistics
- Linguistic anthropologies of translation
- And many more items

Target Audience:

The primary audience of this compendium will comprise experts in Linguistic
and Socio-Cultural Anthropology, and related fields, and those working on or
in the Asian context, as well

as up and coming (graduate) scholars. However, the text will expand past this
to incorporate more global fields and arenas, and at times, general public
sectors.

Submission Procedure:

We welcome submissions from academics, professionals, graduate students, and
the like. We ask that you forward a small abstract, possibly 250-350 words,
prior to June 15, 2019, to
info at cala.asia, to Ms. Nhan Huynh, Head of Communications, The CALA / COMELA.

Your proposal should include the following information:

- Title of the Chapter
- Name of the Author, Affiliation, Email
- The primary theme(s) of the chapter
- Abstract main body (250-350 words)

Following this, we will soon after contact submitters to discuss chapters and
submissions, which we will attempt to expedite. All submissions will be
reviewed accordingly, by the CALA review
board, the Monograph review committee, and the CALA Scientific subcommittee.
Upon evaluation of submissions through the peer-review system, and the Editors
in Chief, as well as
our official publisher partner and sponsor, Taylor and Francis Global, which
we anticipate to be by October 2019, for the first monograph volume,
discussions with the selected authors, together
with revisions and chapter developments, will begin. We thank you for
considering this Call.

Contact:

Ms. Nhan Huynh: info at cala.asia
The CALA 2019, The Annual Conference on Asian Linguistic Anthropology
Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia
https://cala.asia
http://cala2019.puc.edu.kh/
The COMELA, The Annual Conference on Mediterranean Linguistic Anthropology
http://www.comela.me

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Semantics
                     Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)