29.4089, Books: Making Sense of People and Place in Linguistic Landscapes: Peck, Stroud, Williams (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 19 21:13:23 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4089. Fri Oct 19 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4089, Books: Making Sense of People and Place in Linguistic Landscapes: Peck, Stroud, Williams (eds.)

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:11:34
From: Lianna Iwanikiw [lianna.iwanikiw at bloomsbury.com]

Title: Making Sense of People and Place in Linguistic Landscapes
Series Title: Bloomsbury Advances in Sociolinguistics

Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group)
	   http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Book URL: https://www.bloomsbury.com/making-sense-of-people-and-place-in-linguistic-landscapes-9781350037984/

Editor: Amiena Peck
Editor: Christopher Stroud
Editor: Quentin WIlliams

Electronic: ISBN:  9781350038004 Pages: 256 Price: U.K. £ 102.60 Comment: ePUB
Electronic: ISBN:  9781350037991 Pages: 256 Price: U.K. £ 102.60 Comment: ePDF
Hardback: ISBN:  9781350037984 Pages: 256 Price: U.K. £ 95.00

Abstract:

This volume offers comprehensive analyses of how we live continuously in a
multiplicity and simultaneity of 'places'. It explores what it means to be "in
place", the variety of ways in which meanings of place are made and how
relationships to others are mediated through the linguistic and material
semiotics of place. Drawing on examples of linguistic landscapes (LL) over the
world, such as gentrified landscapes in Johannesburg and Brunswick, Mozambican
memorializations, volatile train graffiti in Stockholm, Brazilian protest
marches, Guadeloupian Creole signs, microscapes of souvenirs in Guinea-Bissau
and old landscapes of apartheid in South Africa in contemporary time, this
book explores how we are what we are through how we are emplaced.

Across these examples, world-leading contributors explore how LLs contribute
to the (re)imagining of different selves in the living past (living the past
in the present), alternative presents and imagined futures. It focuses
particularly on how the LL in all of these mediations is read through
emotionality and affect, creating senses of belonging, precarity and hope
across a simultaneous multiplicity of worlds.

The volume offers a reframing of linguistics landscape research in a
geohumanities framework emphasizing negotiations of self in place in LL
studies, building upon a rich body of LL research. With over 40 illustrations,
it covers various methodological and epistemological issues, such as the need
for extended temporal engagement with landscapes, a mobile approach to
landscapes and how bodies engage with texts.

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=130733

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: