30.3235, Calls: Computational Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 27 08:20:22 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3235. Tue Aug 27 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3235, Calls: Computational Linguistics/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 04:15:01
From: Emily M. Bender [ebender at uw.edu]
Subject: 58th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics

Full Title: 58th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics
Short Title: ACL2020

Date: 05-Jul-2020 - 10-Jul-2020
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Contact Person: Joel Tetreault
Meeting Email: ACL2020ProgramChairs at gmail.com
Web Site: http://acl2020.org

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 09-Dec-2019

Meeting Description:

The 58th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL
2020) invites the submission of long and short papers on substantial,
original, and unpublished research in all aspects of Computational Linguistics
and Natural Language Processing. As in recent years, some of the presentations
at the conference will be of papers accepted by the Transactions of the ACL
(TACL) journal.  This year’s conference will for the first time also feature
presentations of papers accepted by the Computational Linguistics (CL)
journal.

Call for Papers:

Important Dates:

Submission deadline (long & short papers): December 9, 2019
Notification of acceptance: April 3, 2020
Camera-ready due: April 24, 2020
Tutorials: July 5, 2020
Conference: July 6-8, 2020
Workshops and Co-located conferences: July 9-10, 2020

Note: All deadlines are 11:59PM UTC-12:00 (''anywhere on Earth'').

ACL 2020 THEME: Taking Stock of Where We've Been and Where We're Going

The last few years have witnessed an unprecedented growth in NLP since the
field began over sixty years ago.  The availability of large amounts of data
and computing resources have led to new models and representations and
exciting results on many NLP benchmark tasks. SOTA systems have approached
human performance on several benchmark tasks.  As we embrace these new
exciting results and advances, ACL 2020 is particularly interested in papers
that can provide insights for the community to assess how much we have
accomplished in developing a machine’s ability in understanding and generating
human language and how far we are pushing the boundaries as a field given the
long history of NLP research.

Potential submissions of interest include (but not limited to) position
papers, empirical/theoretical papers that:

- Reflect on the progress of the field or a sub-topic area from a larger
spectrum and make connections and/or comparisons between the past and the
present to provide a holistic view on where we stand today with respect to the
past;
- Examine, analyze, and interpret SOTA models and results to shed light on
limitations as well as key advances that may have lasting impact;
- Bring novel ideas for advancing the field, e.g., to enable and measure
machine’s ability in language processing beyond laboratory benchmarks;

We anticipate to have a special session for this theme at the conference and a
best Thematic Paper Award in addition to the traditional Best Paper awards.

Submissions:

ACL 2020 has the goal of a broad technical program. Relevant topics for the
conference include, but are not limited to, the following areas (in
alphabetical order):

- Cognitive Modeling and Psycholinguistics
- Computational Social Science and Social Media
- Dialogue and Interactive Systems
- Discourse and Pragmatics
- Ethics and NLP
- Generation
- Information Extraction
- Information Retrieval and Text Mining
- Interpretability and Analysis of Models for NLP
- Language Grounding to Vision, Robotics and Beyond
- Theory and Formalism in NLP (Linguistic and Mathematical)
- Machine Learning for NLP
- Machine Translation
- NLP Applications
- Phonology, Morphology and Word Segmentation
- Resources and Evaluation
- Semantics: Lexical
- Semantics: Sentence Level
- Semantics: Textual Inference and Other Areas of Semantics
- Sentiment Analysis, Stylistic Analysis, and Argument Mining
- Speech and Multimodality
- Summarization
- Syntax: Tagging, Chunking and Parsing
- Question Answering

Further Information:

For information on paper submission, anonymity period, double-blind review,
authorship, citation and comparison, multiple submission policy, formatting
requirements, optional supplementary materials and presentation requirement,
see:

https://acl2020.org/calls/papers/

Organizers:

General Chair:
Dan Jurafsky (Stanford University, USA)

Program Co-Chairs:
Joyce Chai (University of Michigan, USA)
Natalie Schluter (IT University, Copenhagen, Denmark)
Joel Tetreault (Dataminr, USA)

Contact:

E-mail: ACL2020ProgramChairs at gmail.com