30.4772, Jobs: English; General Linguistics: Linguist, Sonos

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 20 17:25:12 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4772. Fri Dec 20 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4772, Jobs: English; General Linguistics: Linguist, Sonos

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 12:24:45
From: Summer Schmitt [summer.schmitt at sonos.com]
Subject: English; General Linguistics: Linguist, Sonos, Paris, France

University or Organization: Sonos
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Paris, France
Web Address: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/home
Job Title: Linguist for American English Voice Experience Localization
Job Rank: Mid Career Industry Professional; Other

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Please submit a cover letter with answers to the following questions with your
application:

Why Sonos?
Tell us about a project you loved working on?

At Sonos we're passionate about creating the ultimate listening experience for
our customers and connecting them to the content they want, where they want
it. This experience is shaped by each of us: our ability to collaborate across
different styles and skill sets, and our openness to new ideas. Each member of
each team at Sonos offers different aspects of diversity that are embraced and
celebrated, and we know that makes us stronger.

Our Language team is working to develop and execute a new strategy for all
things related to the voice experience on Sonos and the linguistic needs of
our users. This critical and tough to tackle work will add to our customers’
ease of use and control as we continue to differentiate an end-to-end Voice
Experience for them.

What You'll Do:

First:
- Understand the use cases related to voice, and implement the voice
experience for American English
- Create a music catalogue: curation of music data, including phonemic
transcription review
- Participate in the specification and testing of internal tools dedicated to
the language team, and in the definition of the evaluation strategy
- Evaluate the quality of linguistic and voice related projects by
collaborating with the Machine Learning and other cross functional teams.

Next:
- Update and improve linguistic resources and models to ensure a premium,
intuitive and up-to-date voice experience.
- Design and conduct user research around language and voice experience with
current users to iterate and evolve our models.

Skills You'll Need:

Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Linguistics or Natural Language Processing
- Perfect proficiency in American English (native American English speaker or
equivalent level)
- Working knowledge of General Linguistics, applied to American English
(Phonetics, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax and Morphology)
- Ability to work in close collaboration with different teams, to adapt to
their needs, and to convey accurate and relevant information about your
language
- Ability to focus on tasks requiring precision and meticulousness
- Ability to grasp technical concepts, and to understand simple formal
representations

Preferred Qualifications:
- Passion for music, and extensive knowledge of musicians/artists
- Knowledge in Natural Language Processing (formal grammars, regular
expressions, etc) and/or in command line (unix-style terminal)
- Speaking French is also a plus, but is not required

To apply, please see the application link provided below.

Web Address for Applications: https://careers.sonos.com/jobs/JobDetail/Linguist-for-American-English-Voice-Experience-Localization/7031
Contact Information:
	Technical Recruiter Summer Schmitt
	Email: summer.schmitt at sonos.com