30.4882, FYI: LGBTQ+ Intersectionality in Applied Linguistics

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 28 23:42:55 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4882. Sat Dec 28 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4882, FYI: LGBTQ+ Intersectionality in Applied Linguistics

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 18:42:45
From: Joshua Paiz [jpaiz at email.gwu.edu]

Hello All, My name is Joshua Paiz and I work on issues related to
queer-inclusive language teaching in ESL/EFL context. My co-editor, James
Coda, and I would like to extend an invitation to those of you also working in
World Languages instruction/theory to consider submitting a chapter proposal
for our book looking at intersectional approaches to LGBTQ+ issues in language
teaching/learning. The full CFP is below. The book is under contract with
Palgrave Macmillan.

Call for Chapters: Intersectional Perspectives on LGBTQ+ Issues in Language
Teaching and Learning

Editors:

Joshua Paiz, Ph.D. (George Washington University)
James Coda, M.A.Ed. (University of Georgia)

Second language acquisition (SLA) has traditionally centered upon what the
learner can do in the target language (Pennycook, 2001), while largely
neglecting the role of the social in language teaching and learning (Norton,
2013). However, the social turn in SLA encouraged scholarship to emphasize the
social world of the learner as power relations and subjectivities privilege
certain subject positions over others (Norton & Darvin, 2015), thereby
encouraging scholars to ask: who is able to speak and to whom? As such, the
increase in identity-related scholarship in SLA has engaged with
subjectivities such as sexuality that have been traditionally absent within
language education research (Nelson, 2009; see also Block, 2007, 2014; Norton
Peirce, 1995). With Nelson’s (1999) seminal piece on queer inquiry in a
community college classroom encouraging SLA scholars and educators to reflect
upon the production of all sexualities in language teaching and learning,
there has been a proliferation of sexuality and language education research
(see Curran, 2006; King, 2008; Nelson, 1999, 2002, 2009). In this body of
work, however, an aspect often missing from the conversation is
intersectionality or the “analyses that foreground the mutually
co-constitutive forces of race, class, sex, gender, and nation” (Puar, 2012,
p. 49). In an era of globalization, De Costa and Norton (2018) called for
“more nuanced research” (p. 94) in relation to intersectionality in SLA as
such social categories are “interdependent” (p. 94). As such, we seek to
extend the call for intersectionality in sexuality-related language education
research, thereby complicating language learning and pedagogies so as to
create equitable spaces for those subjectivities, such as LGBTQIA+
individuals, often excluded from classroom, curricular, and pedagogical
conversations. In this edited volume, then, we seek chapters from scholars who
engage with the intersections between sexuality/race, sexuality/class, and
sexuality/ableness.

Important Dates:

January 24, 2020: Proposal Submission Deadline
February 3, 2020: Notification of Acceptance to Authors
May 30, 2020: Full Chapter Submission
October 15, 2020: Final Draft Due

Submit proposals to jpaiz[at]mail[dot]gwu[dot]edu

                     Language Acquisition