30.2656, Summer Schools: Winter School in Introduction to Scientific Theory Construction through Language Structures / India

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 5 21:57:28 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2656. Fri Jul 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2656, Summer Schools:  Winter School in Introduction to Scientific Theory Construction through Language Structures / India

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 17:57:16
From: Renuka Ozarkar [hi.renuka at linguistics.mu.ac.in]

Winter School in Introduction to Scientific Theory Construction through Language Structures

Host Institution: Department of Linguistics, University of Mumbai
Website: https://www.mumbailinguisticcircle.com/

Dates: 11-Nov-2019 - 20-Nov-2019
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Focus: Scientific theory construction, inquiry-oriented research, language structures
Minimum Education Level: MA

The aim of the workshop is to introduce participants to the art and craft of
constructing scientific theories. For this, language structure will be used as
the terrain for practice.

We may think of a theory is a set of propositions which have a set of logical
consequences called predictions. If the predictions match the observational
generalizations we arrive at from observational reports through inductive
reasoning, we say that the theory explains the generalizations. If the theory
that we are considering is the best available theory — based on the criteria
for evaluation of (i) correctness of predictions, (ii) absence of internal
logical contradictions, (iii) scope (or generality), and (iv) parsimony (or
simplicity) — then we judge the theory to be tentatively true.

Using examples from phonology, morphology, syntax, and grammatical semantics,
we will introduce the tools of scientific theory construction. The learning
outcome we aim at is the ability to engage in scientific inquiry. The
understanding of language structure and of textbook linguistic theories would
be pleasing side products. However, the activities in the workshop would feed
into the ability to construct linguistic theories, as a special case of
scientific theories.

The workshop will not discuss substantive or formal frameworks for the
formulation of linguistic theories. Nor would it be concerned with differences
in formal notation that are often taken to be differences in theory. Once
participants understand the substantive aspects of the evolution of
theoretical linguistics over the last seven decades, they will be in a much
better position to acquire facility with the use of the latest frameworks, and
the capacity to translate from one framework to another.

The workshop does not presuppose prior background in what is covered in
undergraduate or graduate programs in linguistics. But the participants are
expected to have reasoning capacity, clarity and precision in thinking and
communication.

Registration: 23-Aug-2019 to 02-Sep-2019

Contact Person: Renuka Ozarkar
                Email: hi.renuka at linguistics.mu.ac.in

Apply by Email: mumbailinguistics at gmail.com

Registration Instructions:
Interested candidates must submit, in PDF format:

- a write up describing why you wish to pursue scientific theory construction;
and what interests you in language structure

- a one-page bio-data

Submit by e-mail to mumbailinguistics at gmail.com before 15 of August, 2019

Selected candidates will be intimated by 22nd of August, 2019. The list of
selected candidates will be posted on our website:
www.mumbailinguisticcircle.com