30.2779, Calls: Greek, Ancient; Indo-European; Morphology, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 17 03:52:06 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2779. Tue Jul 16 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2779, Calls: Greek, Ancient; Indo-European; Morphology, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 23:51:49
From: Vassilios Spyropoulos [vspyrop at phil.uoa.gr]
Subject: New Ways of Analyzing Ancient Greek, 1

Full Title: New Ways of Analyzing Ancient Greek, 1
Short Title: NWAAG^1

Date: 13-Dec-2019 - 14-Dec-2019
Location: Göttingen, Germany
Contact Person: Stavros Skopeteas
Meeting Email: stavros.skopeteas at uni-goettingen.de

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology; Phonology; Semantics; Syntax

Subject Language(s): Greek, Ancient (grc)

Language Family(ies): Indo-European

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2019

Meeting Description:

Ancient Greek and Latin were certainly among the best-studied languages a
hundred years ago, biasing our understanding of grammatical categories and
structures. In the realm of modern linguistics the perspective was shifted
towards modern languages, which gave rise to an interesting situation: the
grammars and dictionaries of Classical languages are still among the most
detailed linguistic descriptions available, but these languages are severely
underrepresented in modern linguistic research. This state of affairs offers a
twofold challenge:

- What can we learn from languages such as Ancient Greek for the
generalizations gained within modern linguistic frameworks?
- How can we advance our understanding of Ancient Greek by applying the
analytic tools of modern linguistic theory?

These challenges were taken up by several studies in the recent years that
shed light on typological peculiarities of Ancient Greek, such as the metrical
structure, syllabification and accentuation (Kiparsky 1967, 1973, 2003,
Warburton 1970, Steriade 1982, 1988, Sauzet 1989, Golston 1989, Devine &
Stephens 1994, Noyer 1997, Golston & Riad 2000, 2005,  Gunkel 2011, 2014), the
prosodic behavior of clitics and their relevance for the syntax-phonology
interface (Taylor 1996, Revithiadou 2014, Goldstein 2016), the emergence of DP
structures (Manolessou 2000, Manolessou and Horrocks 2007, Guardiano 2012),
the discontinuous noun phrases (Devine and Stephens 2000, Golston & Agbayani
2010), the syntax of preposition in relation to case and verb structure
(Horrocks 1980, 1981, Luraghi 2003, Acedo-Matellán 2016), voice and case
theoretical issues (Grestenberger 2014, 2016, Anagnostopoulou and Sevdali
2015, Michelioudakis 2015), the syntax of the infinitive (Philippaki-Warburton
& Catsimali 1997, Spyropoulos 2005, Sevdali 2009), negation and polarity
(Horrocks 2014, Chatzopoulou 2018), word order and information structure
(Taylor 1990, 1994, Dik 1995, 2007, Matić 2003), and many other issues of
relevance for modern linguistics.

The reason for initiating this workshop series is to establish a network of
linguists applying analytical tools of current linguistic theories to the
research of Ancient Greek. This aims encompasses any framework of modern
linguistics at any layer of grammar, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics
and pragmatics.

Invited Speakers:

Laura Grestenberger (University of Vienna)
David Goldstein (UCLA)

Jointly organized by the Georg-August University of Göttingen and the National
Kapodistrian University of Athens
Götz Keydana
Stavros Skopeteas
Vassilios Spyropoulos

Venue: Georg-August University of Göttingen, Germany

NWAAG^1 will be part of LinG2, the Annual Meeting of the Linguistics in
Göttingen (http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/447150.html). LinG2 will also
contain a workshop on ''Number and plurality: cross-linguistic variation in
the nominal domain'' to take place in Dec 2019, 11-12.

Call for Papers:

We invite abstracts for 30-minute talks (up to 2 pages, incl. references and
examples), to be submitted as pdf files via email to Götz Keydana
(gkeydan at gwdg.de), Stavros Skopeteas (stavros.skopeteas at uni-goettingen.de) and
Vassilios Spyropoulos (vspyrop at phil.uoa.gr)