30.2955, Support: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: PhD, Vrije Universiteit Brussel

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 30 19:47:07 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2955. Tue Jul 30 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2955, Support: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: PhD, Vrije Universiteit Brussel

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 15:46:44
From: Bart de Boer [bart at ai.vub.ac.be]

 Institution/Organization: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Department: AI-lab
Web Address: http://ai.vub.ac.be/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics
Evolution of Language

PhD position in agent based modeling of cognitively plausible emergent
behavior

In the context of seed funding for AI research in Flanders
(https://ai.vub.ac.be/node/1687) prof. Bart de Boer is looking for a PhD
student for the origins of language group of the AI-lab of the Vrije
Universiteit Brussels.

PhD position offered:
We offer a four year PhD position funded by a scholarship with a yearly bench
fee. The PhD work will consist of building an agent-based simulation in which
we can investigate emergence of behavior in a cognitively realistic setting.
This means that the agents are not fully rational and that they show behavior
similar to that of humans, and that interests of agents are not necessarily
always aligned. The modeling will primarily focus on emergence of speech, but
the simulation should be general enough that it can be easily adapted to other
areas, such as traffic or economic interactions.

What we are looking for:
We are looking for an enthusiastic student with a degree in artificial
intelligence, cognitive science, linguistics or equivalent and who has
experience programming agent-based or cognitive models, preferably in Python
or C++. Knowledge of speech and speech processing is a bonus. The starting
date is negotiable, but preferably no later than September 2019.

How to apply:
Send a recent CV, detailing your academic record and your programming
experience as well as a letter of motivation to prof. Bart de Boer. At this
stage we ask you not to send copies of your diplomas or letters of reference.
These we will request directly if we decide to further pursue your
application, If you have any questions please email prof. Bart de Boer.

Web Address for Applications: https://ai.vub.ac.be/node/1688

Contact Information:
	prof Bart de Boer
	bart at ai.vub.ac.be