30.2314, FYI: Open Accessible Summaries In Language Studies (OASIS)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 3 21:22:25 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2314. Mon Jun 03 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2314, FYI: Open Accessible Summaries In Language Studies (OASIS)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 17:21:50
From: Inge Alferink [inge.alferink at york.ac.uk]

We are very pleased to introduce OASIS, an online database of one-page
summaries of peer-reviewed studies on language learning, language teaching,
and multilingualism, written in non-technical language.

Research findings often do not reach the people who could benefit from them,
as journal articles can be hidden behind paywalls and are frequently written
in highly technical language. OASIS aims to make research into language
learning, language teaching, and multilingualism physically and conceptually
available to a wide audience.

What OASIS offers
We currently have over 250 summaries online and we are adding new ones every
week.
The OASIS database is fully searchable. Users can browse by category (for
example, language being learnt or topic) or use the search function to find
summaries relevant for them.
OASIS is supported by key journals in the field of language learning and
teaching, including Language Learning, TESOL Quarterly, and The Modern
Language Journal, some of which are now requiring all authors of new articles
coming out to write an accessible summary of their work.

Please check out OASIS at https://oasis-database.org and **help us spread the
word** by sharing with your networks.

Want to be notified of new content? Then sign up for our monthly newsletter
(https://mailchi.mp/481ba176f2d1/oasis-alerts) or follow us on Twitter
@OASIS_Database.

Write your own summary!
The summaries currently available on our website have been elicited by
participating journals or written by the OASIS team. However, anyone can send
in OASIS summaries of their peer-reviewed articles published in SSCI indexed
journals. OASIS summaries are actively being used to inform professional
development programmes as resources for discussion, reflection and
awareness-raising, as well as to seed the creation of actual classroom
resources. In addition, OASIS is supported by a number of professional
organisations and we thus have a wide reach. So, if you have published work
that is particularly relevant for teachers, teacher educators, parents, policy
makers, or other interested parties outside of academia, please consider
writing your own OASIS summary. OASIS guidelines and summary writing tips are
available on our help page. We are always happy to answer any questions you
may have. Contact us at oasis at oasis-database.org.

                     Language Acquisition