30.1195, Calls: Anthro Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Doc/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 15 06:18:18 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1195. Fri Mar 15 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1195, Calls: Anthro Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Doc/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:17:25
From: Robert Laub [602735 at soas.ac.uk]
Subject: 4th Linguistics Research Student Conference @ SOAS

Full Title: 4th Linguistics Research Student Conference @ SOAS
Short Title: LRSC at SOAS

Date: 10-Jun-2019 - 11-Jun-2019
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact Person: LRSC Organising Committee
Meeting Email: soas2019lrsc at gmail.com
Web Site: https://www.soas.ac.uk/linguistics/events/10jun2019-call-for-papers-4th-linguistics-research-student-conference--soas.html

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Documentation

Call Deadline: 12-Apr-2019

Meeting Description:

The Department of Linguistics at SOAS University of London, is pleased to
announce its fourth Linguistics Research Student Conference, which will take
place on 10-11 June, 2019. This year we will have a two-day conference, with a
plenary speaker presenting on the first day and a workshop on the second day.
The workshop will cover interdisciplinary documentation, focusing on
linguistics and ethnography. The details will be confirmed at a later date.

The conference and workshop are organised by postgraduate research students in
the Department of Linguistics. We warmly welcome research students from all
faculties and centres across the UK to participate.

Details of the Conference
The aim of the conference is to provide a venue for research students who are
interested in languages, linguistics and ethnography to present their
research, and to facilitate collaboration and communication among peers in
related areas. As we are based at SOAS, we especially invite those whose
research is involved with African, Asian, or Pacific languages and cultures,
although we welcome those whose research is from other areas. We would
especially like to invite scholars whose research focuses on indigenous
languages and cultures, to mark 2019 as the International Year of Indigenous
Languages.

We invite contributions from any field of linguistics, including but not
limited to:

-theoretical linguistics
-historical linguistics
-anthropological linguistics
-sociolinguistics
-language pedagogy
-language acquisition
-translation theory and practice
-corpus linguistics
-language documentation and description
-language support and revitalisation
-computational linguistics

In addition, we also welcome contributions from the following fields:

- ethnography
- anthropology
- musicology
- history
- other disciplines

Call for Papers:

Each presentation will be 20 minutes followed by a 10-minute discussion.

Abstracts should be submitted as PDF documents by email to
soas2019lrsc at gmail.com. They should be formatted using 2.5cm margins and 12pt
font, and should not exceed one page, including title, data, and examples.
References may be attached on a second page. Each person is allowed to submit
a single abstract for the conference or for the workshop, or two for both
separately, including co-authored.

As all submissions will be reviewed anonymously, all author-specific
information should not be included in the abstract.

In the subject line, write the author’s surname and abstract, e.g. ‘Lefevre
abstract’.

In the body of the email, please include the following:

-Name
-Affiliation
-Title of Presentation
-Contact Information