30.1878, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Stockholm University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri May 3 16:25:37 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1878. Fri May 03 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1878, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Stockholm University

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 12:25:22
From: Robert Östling [robert at ling.su.se]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Researcher, Stockholm University, Sweden

University or Organization: Stockholm University
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Web Address: https://ling.su.se
Job Title: Researcher in Computational Methods for Linguistic Diversity
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics, the Department of Swedish Language and
Multilingualism, and the Department of Asian, Middle Eastern and Turkish
Studies are looking to strengthen our research in Linguistic Diversity,
recently funded as a future research area at the Faculty of Humanities. As a
first step, we are now hiring a researcher experienced in computational
methods applicable to linguistic research. The researcher will be based at the
Department of Linguistics, which coordinates the Linguistic Diversity future
research area.

Project description:
The goal of the Linguistic Diversity future research area is to create a
collaboration focusing on language documentation and systematic
cross-linguistic study of structural patterns and diversity in the world’s
languages as distributed in space and time. We investigate how these patterns
emerge and spread and how they are embedded in the larger cultural and
ecological context of speakers and their communities. We are also concerned
with broader questions related to determinants and effects of linguistic
diversity such as universal vs. modality specific constraints on language,
implications of linguistic diversity for linguistic theories, the relationship
between linguistic diversity and cognitive processes, etc. We intend to
strengthen our capacity for experimental, quantitative and computational
methods and thereby enhance a further consolidation of the group.

Main responsibilities:
The researcher is expected to work in collaboration with the participating
departments, and to help launch new projects in the field of linguistic
diversity that would benefit from the researcher's specialized skills. For
projects involving neuroimaging, the researcher may also want to cooperate
with the recently opened Stockholm Brain Imaging Center (SUBIC), managed by
the Department of Linguistics.

Qualification requirements:
Researchers are appointed primarily for purposes of research and must hold a
Swedish doctoral degree or an equivalent degree from another country.

To apply, please see the application link provided below.

Application Deadline: 24-May-2019

Web Address for Applications: https://www.su.se/english/about/working-at-su/jobs?rmpage=job&rmjob=8987&rmlang=UK
Contact Information:
	Dr Robert Östling