30.4312, Support: Morphology; Phonetics; Phonology; Semantics; Typology: PhD, Queen Mary University of London

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 13 17:59:47 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4312. Wed Nov 13 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4312, Support: Morphology; Phonetics; Phonology; Semantics; Typology: PhD, Queen Mary University of London

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 12:59:02
From: Erez Levon [ling-phd-admit at qmul.ac.uk]
Subject: Morphology; Phonetics; Phonology; Semantics; Typology: PhD, Queen Mary University of London, UK

 Institution/Organization: Queen Mary University of London
Department: Linguistics
Web Address: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/sllf/linguistics/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Morphology; Phonetics; Phonology; Semantics; Typology
Acquisition; Multilingualism

The Department of Linguistics at Queen Mary University of London is delighted
to announce the following PhD funding competitions:
- London Interdisciplinary Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership
(LISS-DTP) Studentship (residency restrictions apply)
- London Arts and Humanities Partnership (LAHP) Studentship (residency
restrictions apply)
- QMUL Principal's Postgraduate Research Studentships
- QMUL Leverhulme Trust Doctoral Scholarships (as part of the Mobile People
programme)
- China Scholarship Council Scholarships (nationality restrictions apply)

Application deadline: 19 January 2020. Some funding competitions have
additional application procedures/deadlines, though all applicants must apply
to QMUL for admission by 19 January 2020. For information on the application
process, see https://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/applying-for-a-phd/.

For a list of the research areas we cover, and for further information about
the department and the programme, see
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/sllf/linguistics/postgraduate/phd-programme/.

We particularly encourage applications in the following 4 areas:
- Experimental Linguistics. We are seeking PhD students to join a rich,
interdisciplinary research group based in an internationally renowned
linguistics department. Our research engages with a wide range of topics from
infant speech perception through to adult grammatical attrition, using methods
such as eye-tracking, EEG, computational modelling, and ultrasound recording.

- Linguistic Typology and Morphosemantics. We invite proposals for a project
examining linguistic typology and constraints on cross-linguistic variation
from the perspective of formal semantics and linguistic theory more generally.
Projects should focus on investigations of the semantics and morphology of
features in empirical domains including but not limited to aspect,
(in)definiteness, evidentiality, indexical shift, modality, number, person and
perspectival (sentence-final) particles. The project will be jointly
supervised by Dr Luisa Martí and Professor Daniel Harbour. Interested
applicants should send an email to both Dr Martí (luisa.marti at qmul.ac.uk) and
Professor Harbour (d.harbour at qmul.ac.uk) no later than 01 Dec 2019.

- First language acquisition of phonetics and phonology. We invite proposals
for a project examining first language acquisition of phonetics and phonology.
Areas of research could include, but are not limited to, early speech
processing in bilingual populations, the interaction between phonotactics and
lexical development, morphophonological development. We are particularly
interested in investigating understudied multi/bilingual populations. The
project will be jointly supervised by Dr Adam Chong and Dr Kathleen McCarthy.
Interested applicants should send an email to both Dr Chong
(a.chong at qmul.ac.uk) and Dr McCarthy (k.mccarthy at qmul.ac.uk) no later than 01
Dec 2019.

- Phonology, Language Acquisition. We invite proposals for a project employing
experimental methods to address questions of theoretical importance in
phonology. Areas of research could include, but are not limited to,
phonological learning and learnability (phonotactics and morphophonological
alternations). Proposals that include a computational component are
particularly welcome. The project will be jointly supervised by Dr Adam Chong
(QMUL) and Dr James White (UCL). Interested applicants should send an email to
both Adam Chong (a.chong at qmul.ac.uk) and James White (j.c.white at ucl.ac.uk) no
later than 01 Dec 2019.

Application Deadline: 19-Jan-2020

Web Address for Applications: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/subjects/linguistics--applied-linguistics.html