30.3818, FYI: Online lecture, Tom Hope: Lesion-Symptom Mapping

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 10 10:05:03 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3818. Thu Oct 10 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3818, FYI: Online lecture, Tom Hope: Lesion-Symptom Mapping

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 06:04:07
From: Dirk den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

TUESDAY, October 15th 2019, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Lesion-symptom models: Where we are and what’s next
Thomas Hope, PhD.
Welcome Centre for Human Neuroimaging
University College London

Lesion-symptom models relate the brain damage that (often stroke) patients
have suffered to measures of consequent cognitive impairment. These models are
used to predict those consequent impairments as accurately as possible, and/or
to draw inferences about the functional roles of damaged brain regions in the
undamaged brain. After briefly surveying the rapid progress that has been made
toward both goals in recent years, I will describe the enduring challenges
that we still face, as well as some recent and ongoing work to address those
challenges. In particular, I will address: (a) emerging evidence that
post-stroke impairments are progressive, with symptoms continuing to evolve
over years after onset; (b) the challenge of deriving stable, credible
inferences from lesion-symptom models to the functional organisation of the
brain; and (c) the key, remaining barriers to exploiting lesion-symptom models
in clinical stroke medicine.

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Tuesday October 15, 2019, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password
required):https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Neurolinguistics