30.3891, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics: Linguistic Associate, Lexicon Branding

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 15 15:36:27 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3891. Tue Oct 15 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3891, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics: Linguistic Associate, Lexicon Branding

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 11:35:52
From: Christopher Hirsch [christopher at lexiconbranding.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics: Linguistic Associate, Lexicon Branding, California, USA

University or Organization: Lexicon Branding
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: https://www.lexiconbranding.com/
Job Title: Linguistic Associate
Job Rank: Linguistic Associate; Other

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics

Lexicon Branding develops category- defining names for the world’s biggest and
most innovative brands. Swiffer, Sonos, Pentium, Dasani, and Impossible Foods
are just a few of the hundreds of successful product and company names we have
created over the past 37 years.

We pride ourselves on an environment of creativity, problem solving, and
thought leadership. Three qualities that we insist upon: curiosity, never
settling for anything other than excellence, and a good dose of ambition.

The Role:
Lexicon is the only brand naming agency that has a full- time in- house
linguistics staff along with a global network of linguists. We have spent
millions of dollars on research and development of our internal creative
tools, our tested methods of global linguistic and cultural analysis, and our
pioneering work on sound symbolism.

As a Linguistic Associate, you will become a contributor to everything
linguistics at Lexicon.

Specifically, you will:
- Develop and participate in original linguistic research.
- Thoughtfully contribute to creative development on naming, brand
architecture, nomenclature, and positioning projects.
- Synthesize brand naming insights from a broad array of linguistic
perspectives.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of Lexicon’s creative and analytical
tools.
- Assist with the management and analysis of our global language and culture
reviews of brand names.
- Familiarize yourself with the other departments across Lexicon—Account
Management, Research, Trademark—and come to understand the full scope of brand
name development.

We have found that our Linguists do best when they have:
- Ambition, a drive to succeed, and a willingness to contribute.
- Multi- faceted linguistic curiosity and deep experience in Natural Language
Processing (NLP), Computational Linguistics, Psycholinguistics, Data Science,
Phonology, and/or the Linguistics of Marketing & Branding.
- Fluency in Python, R, or similar scripting language.
- Experience designing, conducting, and evaluating language data experiments,
including understanding of statistical methods.
- Varied and creative interests.
- An eye for detail and proven ability to seamlessly manage shifting
priorities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluency in one or more languages other than English.

Key Qualifications:
- MA/MS or Ph.D. in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or another
linguistics-related discipline.
- Professional work experience strongly preferred but not required.

This is a full- time position and employees will be expected to work from our
San Francisco Bay Area office.

To apply, please see the application link below and send a cover letter and
resume to the application email below.

Email Address for Applications: jobs at lexiconbranding.com
Web Address for Applications: https://www.lexiconbranding.com/linguistic-associate
Contact Information:
	Associate Director of Linguistics Christopher Hirsch
	Email: christopher at lexiconbranding.com