30.3396, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Colorado, Boulder

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 10 16:45:19 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3396. Tue Sep 10 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3396, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Colorado, Boulder

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 12:44:26
From:  Phan [vivan.phan at colorado.edu]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA

University or Organization: University of Colorado, Boulder
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Colorado, USA
Web Address: https://www.colorado.edu/linguistics/
Job Title: Assistant Professor, Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Colorado Boulder seeks
applications for an Assistant Professor tenure-track faculty position in
Computational Linguistics beginning Fall 2020.  Within Computational
Linguistics we are particularly interested in candidates who use computational
methods to address enduring questions in syntax, semantics and/or pragmatics,
and other core areas of linguistics. We envision potential applications to
Natural Language Processing and/or to discourse and dialogue advances that
could be relevant to Human-Computer Interaction. Our primary consideration is
the originality, intellectual breadth, and promise of the candidate’s work.
This position will complement the strong, interdisciplinary cohort of
Computational Linguistics faculty at CU and be affiliated with both our Center
for Computational Language and EducAtion Research (CLEAR), and our
cross-college Professional MS in Computational Linguistics, Analytics, Search
and Informatics (CLASIC). The successful candidate will also benefit from our
interdisciplinary partnerships with the Institute of Cognitive Science.   We
are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through
their research, teaching, and service, to the diversity and excellence of our
academic community.

Candidates will be expected to engage in undergraduate and graduate teaching,
advise Ph.D. students, contribute professional service, and develop vigorous,
externally funded research programs in their technical area.  The standard
teaching load is 3.5 courses per year.

Successful candidates will have an in-depth understanding of their research
area and of computational linguistics in general, including the application of
current machine learning methods such as neural nets.  Teaching at the
undergraduate and graduate level could include computational linguistics,
introductory programming and data structures, corpus linguistics, natural
language processing, and research seminars.

To apply, please submit the following materials to the application link
provided below:
- Resume/CV
- Cover letter
- Statement of teaching philosophy and goals
- Statement of research philosophy and goals
- Diversity and inclusion statement - demonstrating your commitment to
fostering a diverse and inclusive campus climate
- Optional teaching evaluations, if available
- You will be asked by our system to provide three (3) professional
references. These individuals will be contacted and asked to submit a letter
of recommendation as part of your application materials at a later time. This
information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search
committee.

Full consideration will be given to applications that are completed by
November 1, 2019. Applications will be accepted until February 15, 2020.

Application materials are accepted electronically via CU Boulder Jobs.

Application Deadline: 15-Feb-2020

Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/Assistant-Professor-Computational-Linguistics/20950?
Contact Information:
	Professor/Search Chair Martha Palmer