31.1306, FYI: MA in T&E Linguistics (UPV/EHU, Spain)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 10 00:02:08 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1306. Thu Apr 09 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1306, FYI:  MA in T&E Linguistics (UPV/EHU, Spain)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 20:01:58
From: Mikel Santesteban [mikel.santesteban at ehu.eus]
Subject: MA in T&E Linguistics (UPV/EHU, Spain)

Dear colleagues, I hope you and your beloved ones are all healthy and safe.
Please spread the following information to potential applicants:

MA Programme in Theoretical and Experimental Linguistics at the University of
the Basque Country (UPV/EHU).
https://www.ehu.eus/en/web/master/master-theoretical-experimental-linguistics

Pre-Registration Now Open (Deadline: May 22, 2020):
https://www.ehu.eus/en/web/estudiosdeposgrado-graduondokoikasketak/master-izen
-ematea-eta-onarpena

Location: Faculty of Arts, Vitoria-Gasteiz (Spain)
Teaching languages: Spanish and English (English friendly MA program: students
need to be able to follow some of the courses in Spanish, but they can be
evaluated in English in all courses).
Approximate fees: € 1,550-1,650
Duration and study load: One academic year with a study load of 60 ECTS
credits distributed in: 21 ECTS credits of Compulsory Subject Courses; 27 ECTS
credits of Optional advanced courses and research seminars; and 12 ECTS
credits of the MA final research project.

The Masters Degree in Theoretical and Experimental Linguistics offers a
general and unifying view of Linguistics. Its aim is to provide students with
the competencies required for the study of historical, theoretical and
experimental Linguistics. The Master's program includes core introductory
courses about the most relevant topics of historical, theoretical and
experimental linguistics, advanced elective courses in any of these three
areas, and a Master’s final research project. Students will learn from
world-class scientists of the UPV/EHU as well as different renowned
international researchers invited every year to teach at our Research Seminary
courses. Hence, our program allows students to specialize in the areas of
Semantics and Pragmatics, Syntax and Morphology, Phonetics and Phonology,
Typology, Historical and Comparative Linguistics, Psycholinguistics and
Neurolinguistics. Due to its unifying character, it also promotes
interdisciplinary research work in any combination of these areas from both a
synchronic and a diachronic perspective.

Students who complete the Programme of Studies will be able to engage in the
study of any language (with the added value that it offers the possibility of
in-depth study of the Basque language). The Masters is fundamentally oriented
towards research work leading to further doctoral studies in any area related
to Linguistics. Our Master’s program graduates have enrolled in PhD programs
on Computational Linguistics, Historical Linguistics, Theoretical Linguistics
and Psycholinguistics at several renowned universities such as the Donders
Center at Radboud University, University of Zurich, the Universidad Autónoma
de Madrid, as well as in our own PhD program in Linguistics at the UPV/EHU.
(https://www.ehu.eus/en/web/doktoregoak/doctorate-linguistics)

Entry profile: Prospective students are expected to have basic knowledge of
Linguistics, as provided by the Degrees in Philology, Modern and Classical
Languages, Linguistics and Translation and Interpreting. Students with other
degrees, such as Philosophy, Logic, Psychology or Education (esp. Foreign
Language). Candidates that wish to be admitted to the Programme must include a
brief application essay where they state their motivation for studying
Linguistics.

For further information about the academic program and about our teaching
staff please visit our website
(https://www.ehu.eus/en/web/master/master-theoretical-experimental-linguistics
)
or contact the program coordinator:
Dr. Mikel Santesteban
linguistics at ehu.eus
+34 945 01 3842

For information about the application process visit:
https://www.ehu.eus/en/web/estudiosdeposgrado-graduondokoikasketak/master-izen
-ematea-eta-onarpena

Mikel Santesteban Insausti (Coordinador)
Master en Lingüística Teórica y Experimental
Universidad del País Vasco (UPV/EHU)
Facultad de Letras
Paseo de las Universidades 5, 01006 Vitoria-Gasteiz
Tel. (+34) 945 01 3842

                     Historical Linguistics
                     Language Acquisition
                     Morphology