31.3869, Calls: Text/Corpus Ling/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 15 22:43:05 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3869. Tue Dec 15 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3869, Calls: Text/Corpus Ling/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:42:31
From: Glenn Hadikin [glenn.hadikin at port.ac.uk]
Subject: British Association for Applied Linguistics 2021

Full Title: British Association for Applied Linguistics 2021
Short Title: BAAL2021

Date: 09-Sep-2021 - 11-Sep-2021
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Alex Ho-Cheong Leung
Meeting Email: baal2020.northumbria at gmail.com
Web Site: https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/news-events/events/2021/09/baal-2020/

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2021

Meeting Description:

In light of the ongoing uncertainties brought about by the pandemic and the
likely travel difficulties this may cause, the local organising committee and
the BAAL executive committee have decided to move our 2021 conference online.

Although we are disappointed that we are unable to welcome you to Northumbria
University and the city of Newcastle upon Tyne in person, we do hope that you
can join us at our online conference.

The great news is that our exciting line up of plenary and invited speakers
are staying on. With your active participation and contribution, we are
confident that BAAL2021 is going to be an interesting and stimulating
experience.

Call for Papers:

Abstracts are welcome in any area of Applied Linguistics. Papers should offer
something new, innovative and of interest to a BAAL audience and paper
reporting on research should clearly outline objectives, method(s), and
results where appropriate. Abstracts which address the conference theme will
be particularly welcome.

DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ABSTRACTS: 31 March 2021

Maximum abstract length: 300 words

To submit your abstract please use Oxford Abstracts:
https://app.oxfordabstracts.com/stages/1649/submissions/new

If you have not used this system before please register first. All submissions
must be submitted on-line, if you have any queries please contact:
baal2020.northumbria at gmail.com

Abstract type:
Indicate the type of abstract that you are submitting during the submission
process: individual presentation for parallel sessions or a SIG track, poster,
or colloquium.

 - Individual presentation for the parallel sessions
 - Individual papers have 25 minutes: 20 for the presentation, 5 for
questions.
 - Individual presentation for a Special Interest Group (SIG) track (Please
see
https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/news-events/events/2021/09/baal-2020/ba
al-call-for-papers for a full list of the SIG's).

Proposed Colloquium:
We invite colloquia on particular themes which have relevance to the
conference. Colloquia last half a day and consist of a minimum of four papers.
Colloquia proposers should plan their half day in four slots, aligned with a
schedule of four individual papers. If they wish to include a larger number of
papers, they may fit two papers into what would normally be a single
presentation slot. Colloquia papers should cohere. The order of the papers
should not be changed after acceptance. An abstract for the colloquium
introduction is required along with abstracts for each paper within the
colloquium (300 words per abstract).

Posters:
We strongly encourage the submission of abstracts for posters. We aim to raise
the profile of posters at our conference since we value them as equal to other
forms of presentation, and we believe that they tend to receive more feedback
than individual papers. All posters will be listed in the book of abstracts,
and there will be a dedicated area and time slot for discussion of poster
presentations. There will also be a £50 prize for best poster displayed at the
conference.

Scholarships:
During the abstract submission process, you will be asked to indicate whether
you want to apply for a scholarship. If so, we will send the scholarship
application forms to you by email. Each candidate will also be required to
provide two full references plus a list of other conferences they have
attended and any other grants/scholarships that they have received for their
studies.

BAAL offers 4 conference scholarships (for students or early career
researchers, with the latter defined as being within 2 years of PhD
completion). Monies from a ring-fenced fund, contributed by donors, will pay
for the additional ‘Chris Brumfit scholarship’, which is usually targeted at
delegates from outside Britain who would not otherwise have funds to do so to
attend the BAAL Annual Meeting.

The scholarships will help towards the cost of the conference fee.

If you intend to apply for the scholarship, please download the relevant form
from the conference website and send it to baal2020.northumbria at gmail.com with
the relevant subject title as laid out on the form.

All presenters MUST be BAAL members by the time they register for the
conference.