31.475, Confs: Socioling, Philosophy of Lang/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Feb 2 00:54:58 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-475. Sat Feb 01 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.475, Confs: Socioling, Philosophy of Lang/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 19:54:41
From: Mihaela Popa-Wyatt [popa.michaela at gmail.com]
Subject: Modeling Oppressive Speech/Norms and Social Meaning

Modeling Oppressive Speech/Norms and Social Meaning

Date: 23-Mar-2020 - 24-Mar-2020
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact: Mihaela Popa-Wyatt
Contact Email: popa-wyatt at leibniz-zas.de
Meeting URL: https://www.leibniz-zas.de/de/das-zas/veranstaltungen/details/events/5946-modelling-oppressive-speechnorms-a/

Linguistic Field(s): Philosophy of Language; Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Meeting Description:

Workshop: Modelling Oppressive Speech/Norms & Social Meaning
23-24 March 2020, ZAS Berlin

Oppressive speech harms its targets. The rise of hate speech in social media
and politics vividly illustrates this. This workshop will study how oppressive
speech harms. Topics include: the mechanisms through which oppressive
utterance causes harm; how oppressive speech shifts norms; what motivates
speakers to use such speech; why others comply with the resulting harmful
norms; and what needs to change to eradicate these harmful norms. We also
focus on relevant aspects of social meaning such as intra-speaker variation,
e.g. that oppressive language has different effects depending on who the
speaker and hearer are (in-group vs. out-group, etc.).

Speakers
Stephen Barker (University of Nottingham)
David Beaver (University of Texas)
Laura Caponetto (University of Pavia)
Anton Benz (ZAS-Berlin)
Christoph Hesse (ZAS-Berlin)
Elin McCready (Aoyama Gakuin University)
Mary Kate McGowan (Wellesley College)
David Pietraszewski (MPI-Berlin)
Mihaela Popa-Wyatt (ZAS-Berlin)
Uli Sauerland (ZAS-Berlin)
Stephanie Solt (ZAS-Berlin)
Lynne Tirrell (University of Connecticut)

Organisers
Mihaela Popa-Wyatt, Anton Benz, Stephanie Solt

Website & Registration by 9 March

The source project: the Marie Scklowdoska-Curie Action “How Language is Used
to Oppress” (HaLO). This event is sponsored by the Society for Applied
Philosophy, DFG, XPrag. We gratefully acknowledge their support.