31.197, Confs: Comp Ling / USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 14 20:14:48 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-197. Tue Jan 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.197, Confs: Comp Ling / USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 15:14:42
From: Beata Beigman Klebanov [bbeigmanklebanov at ets.org]
Subject: Shared Task on Metaphor Detection

Shared Task on Metaphor Detection

Date: 13-Jan-2020 - 22-Mar-2020
Location: WWW, USA
Contact: Beata Beigman Klebanov
Contact Email: bbeigmanklebanov at ets.org
Meeting URL: https://competitions.codalab.org/competitions/22188

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Meeting Description:

Call For Participation: Shared Task On Metaphor Detection

We are happy to announce the start of the second shared task on metaphor
detection.

Following a successful shared task on metaphor detection in news, editorial,
conversations, and academic writing sampled from the BNC during the
Workshop on Figurative Language Processing @NAACL 2018 , we are expanding to a
new domain and conducting a shared task  on detection of metaphors in
persuasive essays written by non-native speakers of English. Beigman Klebanov,
Leong, and Flor (NAACL 2018) showed that usage of metaphorical language that
is related to the writer's arguments is correlated with the human holistic
scores of essay quality. We use the annotated dataset from the Beigman
Klebanov et al (2018) study to conduct the shared task, and use their results
as a baseline. We also publish the features to help participants directly
build on the prior work. In addition, we run a second round of
competition on the BNC data, to help track improvements on this benchmark
since the last shared task.

For more information about the shared task and to participate visit
https://competitions.codalab.org/competitions/22188

Important Dates
 - January 12, 2020: 1st CFP for the shared task; CodaLab competition is open;
training data and auxiliary scripts can be downloaded
 - February 12, 2020: 2nd CFP for the shared task; test data can be downloaded
and results submitted; performance will be tracked on CodaLab dashboard
 - March 22, 2020: Last day for submitting predictions on test data
 - April 18, 2020: Papers describing the systems are due
 - May 8, 2020: Notifications for papers are sent
 - May 18, 2020: Camera Ready version of papers
 - July 9/10, 2020: Workshop on Figurative Language Processing @ ACL 2020 in
Seattle, WA (https://sites.google.com/view/figlang2020/)

Task organizers
 - Ben Leong, Educational Testing Service; cleong [AT] ets [DOT] org
 - Beata Beigman Klebanov, Educational Testing Service, bbeigmanklebanov [AT]
ets [DOT] org
 - Rutuja Ubale, Educational Testing Service, rubale [AT] ets [DOT] org
 - Chris Hamill, Educational Testing Service, chamill [AT] ets [DOT] org