31.1864, FYI: Online 6/11: Borna Bonakdarpour; PPAphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 5 08:26:41 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1864. Fri Jun 05 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1864, FYI: Online 6/11: Borna Bonakdarpour; PPAphasia

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 04:26:09
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online 6/11: Borna Bonakdarpour; PPAphasia

Thursday, June 11, 2020, 2pm ET
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Perturbations of the Language Network in Primary Progressive Aphasia
Borna Bonakdarpour, MD (Northwestern University)

Primary progressive aphasia (PPA) is a syndrome of progressive language
decline due to neurodegenerative etiologies, such as Alzheimer disease and
frontotemporal degeneration. Traditional aphasiology heavily relied on aphasia
caused by stroke. However, research in PPA has created an opportunity to gain
new knowledge about the language network and the effect of neurodegenerative
disease on language processing. In this lecture I discuss how research on PPA
has given us additional insight into the physiology of language network and
how language is affected by cortical thinning (atrophy), and abnormal
functional connectivity in PPA. Potential implications of our research for
future interventions will also be discussed.
__
This lecture can be followed online from your computer, tablet or smartphone,
via a link that will be provided on the C-STAR website:
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics