31.1124, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Scientist, Amazon

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 24 09:28:44 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1124. Tue Mar 24 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1124, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Scientist, Amazon

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 05:26:04
From: Laura Dickey [lwd at amazon.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Scientist, Amazon, Pittsburgh, USA

University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Machine Translation
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Job Title: Machine Translation Scientist
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Machine Translation

Amazon is looking for passionate Applied Scientists and Computational
Linguists with expertise in Machine Translation to help us expand our MT and
NLP technology.

Our mission is to enable a superior experience for all of Amazon’s customers
in their native language by developing and deploying state-of-the art
technology and applications in Machine Translation (MT), Natural Language
Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML). The global scale of Amazon means
true big data problems, big data opportunities, and building for global
customers. Machine Translation allows Amazon to reach people in their
preferred language, whether that’s searching for a product to buy, looking for
customer service, talking to Alexa, or using their Kindle. We are a team
tackling the tough language problems that general-purpose MT cannot solve.

As part of our MT research & development team, you will work on developing,
deploying, maintaining and supporting our fleet of Machine Translation systems
that serve our various Amazon teams and clients. You will drive
experimentation to develop new solutions in the MT space. Your work will
directly impact millions of our customers in the form of products and services
that make use of our MT and NLP technology. You will gain hands-on experience
with Amazon’s heterogeneous language data sources and large-scale computing
resources to accelerate advances in MT and NLP.

Major Responsibilities:

- Set the scientific agenda for MT improvements and novel evaluation
techniques
- Train and evaluate neural MT models using Amazon's proprietary MT technology
- Analyze the accuracy and performance of MT models
- Assist in deploying, maintaining, and supporting Amazon's fleet of dedicated
MT systems in production
- Design and implement software to collect, analyze and prepare large natural
language data sets

Basic Qualifications:

- PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Language Technologies,
Linguistics, or MS plus 2+ years experience
- Expertise in Machine Translation
- Software development skills in Python, Java, C++ or equivalent programming
language
- Exceptional analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills

Preferred Qualifications:

- Good written and spoken communication skills
- Experience using tools and systems for standard MT and NLP tasks, such as
language modeling, named entity recognition, syntactic parsing, etc.
- Experience in development of large-scale NLP systems in a large industrial
or government environment
- Formal or informal knowledge of linguistics and/or foreign languages

Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability /
Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age

Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1087467/machine-translation-scientist
Contact Information:
	Maganthy Rajagopalan
	Email: maganthy at amazon.com