31.1517, Calls: Anthro Ling, Disc Analysis, Ling & Lit, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 6 00:17:53 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1517. Tue May 05 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1517, Calls: Anthro Ling, Disc Analysis, Ling & Lit, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Netherlands

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 20:15:49
From: Paula Rebecca Schreiber [paula.schreiber at unitn.it]
Subject: Breaking Rules: The 3rd Meeting of the European Hip-Hop Studies Network

Full Title: Breaking Rules: The 3rd Meeting of the European Hip-Hop Studies Network
Short Title: EHHSN

Date: 11-Sep-2020 - 13-Sep-2020
Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands
Contact Person: Organisation Committee
Meeting Email: hiphopstudiesNL2020 at lkca.nl
Web Site: https://europeanhiphopstudiesnetwork.wordpress.com/2020/04/29/call-for-submissions-breaking-rules-ehhs-network-meeting-2020/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 29-May-2020

Meeting Description:

The field of hip-hop studies cannot exist without the engagement and
involvement of hip-hop practitioners. The organising committee welcomes
proposals for contributions to our annual meeting that reflect this
understanding. These might ‘break the rules’ of conventional academic
conferences in Europe and the committee challenges scholars to embrace the
opportunity to use “the masters’ tools to break the masters’ rules” (Lorde).

Substantive AND Reflective Content

Undoubtedly the norms, values, and practice of scholarly research have shaped
and formed the field of hip-hop studies inside and outside Europe in one way
or another. Today, the academy seems finally to have accepted hip-hop as a
worthy object of study - despite continuing stigmas - and as such hip-hop has
won international recognition and critical acclaim. At the same time, the
rules, boundaries, and knowledge regimes of living hip-hop culture must have
an impact on this field of study as well. As such, these two fields both push
and pull researchers in what may sometimes feel as opposite directions.

The fraught issue of legitimacy on both ends of the spectrum (keeping it
rigorous AND keepin’ it real), is something hip-hop researchers experience at
least once in their academic career. Anthropologists, ethnomusicologists, and
sociologists use a wide range of methods to reflect on experiences during
their research which trigger questions about legitimacy. But what about
hip-hop researchers? In the past, scholars, such as Rose (1994), Perry (2004),
Forman and Neal (2004/2011), Snell and Söderman (2014), Dimitriadis (2015),
and Şahin (2019), have explored questions of bridging hip-hop scenes with the
academy. Current developments, such as digitisation, global migration, and the
increasing institutionalisation of hip-hop culture ask for both the deepening
of existing methods and the development of new concepts.

For our Network meeting we ask researchers to share both their substantive
knowledge about a particular topic of hip-hop culture, as well as their
perspective on experiences in which they had to cultivate legitimacy for doing
that particular research. We thus invite you to share your experiences of
standing with one foot in the academic world and with another in hip-hop
culture. In this conference, we will thus give attendees a ‘behind the scenes’
perspective on our journeys in the field of hip-hop studies in, on, and about
Europe. What is your method? Please, be open-hearted and open-minded!

By means of combining both substantive content on hip-hop culture AND
reflections on issues of legitimacy, we intend to bridge gaps between various
traditional academic disciplines, such as anthropology, musicology, sociology,
arts, language studies, and their research methods. The committee encourages
proposals that tackle the foregoing two topics of substance and reflection -
content and context. It is our belief that we can decolonise the presumed
“objectivity” of university research, being both creative and critical while
still being accountable researchers. Hip-hop studies is an academic field of
study and is able, at the same time, to challenge the academic frame and
produce new emancipatory knowledges. The objective of this year's meeting is
to create a white paper which reflects our approach to hip-hop studies and
which will be published in the framework of the conference.

Call for Papers:

Format, Proposals, and Selection Process:
Since our approach for this meeting is to “break the rules,” we invite
researchers and practitioners to rethink their way of dropping knowledge by
using interactive formats. We encourage you to deviate from conventional
conference presentations. Presentation formats could include living labs,
poster presentations, artist-scholar dialogues, interactive workshops,
analysis in the moment, performances, action type research, and storytelling.
Feel free to contact the committee if you have questions or want to exchange
ideas concerning your format of presentation. Proposals can be submitted as
audio-/visual and written texts. Audio-/visual texts should be a maximum of
two minutes and be submitted as .mp4 file. Written proposals should include a
title, 250 word abstract of their contribution and short biographical sketch.
Send in your proposal to hiphopstudiesNL2020 at lkca.nl no later than 29 May
2020. We especially welcome papers that engage with less-academically-visible
work, and from artists and practitioners from a wider variety of backgrounds.
As far as possible, all proposals will be anonymised before being submitted to
the organisation committee. The committee will select proposals between 1 and
12 June 2020. Letters of acceptance and rejection will be sent out until 22
June 2020.

The Meeting:
The meeting will take place either in Rotterdam and/or online. We do advise
participants not to arrange travel and accommodation until there is clarity
about travel conditions in regard to the worldwide corona pandemic. Please
consider how to present online and include your ideas in the proposal. Once
selected, we will keep everybody informed about the format of the meeting in
our social media channels.

More information:
 - Website: https://europeanhiphopstudiesnetwork.wordpress.com/
 - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/europeanhiphopstudiesnetwork
 - Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/dBR48L

Organisation Committee:
Joan Biekman (Cultuurschakel The Hague), Amalia Deekman (LKCA), Frieda Frost
(Deutsche Sporthochschule Köln), Miriam Geerdes-Gazzah (independent
researcher), Steven Gilbers (U of Groningen), Rachel Gillett (Utrecht U),
Simon Mamahit (Cultuur Oost & Poppunt Gelderland), Claudia Marinelli (LKCA),
James McNally (independent researcher), Sina A. Nitzsche (Ruhr U Bochum),
Aafje de Roest (Leiden U), Griff Rollefson (U College Cork), Serhatcan Yurdam
(Ege U)

Breaking Rules is being organised in cooperation with the National Centre of
Expertise for Cultural Education and Amateur Arts Utrecht (LKCA), Da Bounce
Rotterdam, CIPHER: Hip-Hop Interpellation Cork, and various hip-hop partners
during the Urban Street Culture Weekend in Rotterdam.