31.1551, Calls: Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Socioling/Germany/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 7 23:37:18 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1551. Thu May 07 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1551, Calls: Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Socioling/Germany/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 19:35:23
From: Mingya Liu [mingya.liu at hu-berlin.de]
Subject: XPrag.de Workshop on the Processing of Negation and Polarity

Full Title: XPrag.de Workshop on the Processing of Negation and Polarity
Short Title: NegPolProcessing 2020

Date: 01-Oct-2020 - 02-Oct-2020
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact Person: Mingya Liu
Meeting Email: mingya.liu at hu-berlin.de
Web Site: https://www.xprag.de/?page_id=8422

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 30-Jun-2020

Meeting Description:

**** Due to the ongoing Corona virus crisis, the workshop might take pace
partially online so that presenters with travelling restrictions can
participate nevertheless. We are monitoring the situation closely and
depending on the development, we will find the best feasible solution for the
workshop: i.e. in partially online form, in completely online form, or with
the workshop postponed to a later date. Stay well, and we look forward to your
submissions!****

Negation and polarity have been a key field of study in generative
linguistics, as the related phenomena are situated at the interfaces of
syntax, semantics and pragmatics. Formal and experimental research on these
interface phenomena are thus of great importance towards gaining a better
understanding of the architecture of grammar. The processes underlying the
comprehension of negation and polarity have been investigated in both
psychology and linguistics, using a combination of behavioral (e.g. rating,
eye-tracking) and neuroimaging techniques (e.g. EEG). One of the central
points of debate concerns the question whether negative meaning is processed
immediately, or has to be computed from the affirmative content in a two-step
model of negation comprehension. While out-of-the-blue negation has been
associated with increased processing costs, it has been argued that pragmatic
factors mitigate this cost by providing a licensing context for negative
utterances. Related work concerns the processing of positive and negative
polarity items (PPIs and NPIs, respectively). Major questions in the field
concern the cognitive mechanisms via which the semantic and pragmatic
licensing conditions are established, and potential differences between (i)
licensing contexts of various negative strengths (e.g. sentential negation,
downward-entailing operators, adversatives), as well as between (ii) the
processing of NPIs and PPIs in general.

The proposed workshop aims at establishing a broad perspective on the
processing of negation and polarity, with a focus on (but not limited to) the
following topics:
 - One- versus two-step models of language comprehension through
investigations employing negative sentences
 - Experimental approaches to the semantics and pragmatics of canonical and
noncanonical negation (negative concord, pleonastic negation)
 - Processing of entailment cancelling contexts (negation, modals, questions,
conditionals)
 - Negative and positive polarity items
 - Experimental computational/developmental/sociolinguistic approaches to
negation and polarity

Confirmed invited speakers:
David Beltran (http://davbeltran.blogspot.com/)
Richard Breheny (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/people/richard-breheny)
Mante Nieuwland (https://www.mpi.nl/people/nieuwland-mante)
Sophie Repp (http://idsl1.phil-fak.uni-koeln.de/32141.html?&L=1)
Ming Xiang (https://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/mingxiang/)
Peng Zhou (https://sites.google.com/site/zhoupengdr/)

Organizers:
Carolin Dudschig (University of Tübingen)
Barbara Kaup (University of Tübingen)
Mingya Liu (Humboldt University of Berlin)
Juliane Schwab (Osnabrück University)

Call for Papers & Extended Deadline:

We welcome abstracts for 30 minutes talks (20 + 10 discussion) or posters
which address issues relevant to the workshop’s theme. Abstracts should be no
longer than 2 A4 pages, with a 12 pt font and 2.5 cm/1 inch margins. The
abstracts must be anonymous and not identify the authors. Authors may submit
at most two abstracts, at most one of which may be single-authored.

Please submit via EasyChair
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=negpolprocessing2020) by 30 June 2020
at the latest. We will notify you of the results by mid July 2020.

It is planned to publish a special issue based on a selection of presented
papers with a journal in the interface of Psychology and Linguistics.