31.1558, Qs: Non-manner HOW clauses across languages

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat May 9 20:23:41 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1558. Sat May 09 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1558, Qs: Non-manner HOW clauses across languages

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Yiwen Zhang <yiwen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 16:23:31
From: Carla Umbach [umbach at leibniz-zas.de]
Subject: Non-manner HOW clauses across languages

dear colleagues,

I'm currently working on ''non-manner HOW clauses'', more precisely,
subordinate clauses introduced by a manner question word which do not have a
manner meaning. In (1) and (2) examples from English and German are shown.
(1 They told me how the tooth fairy doesn’t really exist.
‘They told me that the tooth fairy doesn’t really exist.’ (Legate 2010)

(2)Anna sah, wie Berta hastig ihre Tasche packte.
Lit: Anna  saw how Berta hastily her bag packed.
'Anna saw Berta hastily packing her bag.' (Umbach et al. submitted)

It appears that such uses of HOW clauses exist in other languages, too.  I
would be very happy to learn about other languages exhibiting this phenomenon
and about references. (Contributors you will of course be mentioned in my
paper.)

Best,
Carla Umbach
ZAS Berlin / University of Cologne, www.carla-umbach.de

Legate, J. A. (2010) On how how is used instead of that. Natural Language &
Linguist Theory 28: 121–134.
Umbach C., Hinterwimmer St., Gust H. (submitted) German 'wie'-complements:
Manners, methods and events in progress

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics
                     Syntax
                     Typology