31.1611, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Psycholinguistics; Syntax: Lecturer, York St John University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 14 17:09:21 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1611. Thu May 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1611, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Psycholinguistics; Syntax: Lecturer, York St John University

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 13:08:59
From:  Resourcing and Onboarding Team [vacancies at yorksj.ac.uk]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Psycholinguistics; Syntax: Lecturer, York St John University, York, United Kingdom

University or Organization: York St John University
Department: School of Education, Language & Psychology
Job Location: York, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/schools/psychological--social-sciences/
Job Title: Lecturer in TESOL and Linguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Psycholinguistics; Syntax; TESOL

Lecturer in TESOL and Linguistics (equivalent to Assistant Professor)

Full time, permanent

Salary: £33,797 to £39,152 per annum

Location: York

York St John is an ambitious, modern university at the heart of historic York
and there has never been a more exciting time to join us.

Our new strategy for the next decade emphasises our commitment to widening
opportunity through the power of education and contributing our talents to
creating a fairer world, and a more prosperous region. We are putting
inspirational learning and impactful research at the heart of this strategy,
recognising our academic expertise as our greatest asset and investing in
enabling this expertise to thrive.

We are currently seeking a Lecturer in TESOL and Linguistics. The successful
candidate will join a team of fifteen Languages and Linguistics academics
based within the School of Education, Language and Psychology. We offer BA and
MA programmes in British Sign Language, Deaf Studies, Educational Linguistics,
English Language and Linguistics, Intercultural Communication, Japanese,
Korean, Language and Social Justice, and TESOL.

The successful candidate will contribute to our undergraduate and postgraduate
programmes in TESOL and Linguistics. This post offers the right candidate an
exciting opportunity to develop our TESOL provision. Qualifications (such as
the CELTA or equivalent) and previous teaching experience of English as an
additional language are essential; a DELTA would be an advantage. In addition,
you will have the experience and expertise to teach across a range of
linguistics modules such as introductory grammar and phonetics, second
language acquisition and multilingualism.

It is essential that candidates hold a doctoral level qualification, or are
near completion, and are actively engaged in research. Your research expertise
will be in TESOL, and may also be related to one or more of the following
areas: applied linguistics; corpus linguistics; digital communication;
discourse analysis; forensic linguistics; language acquisition;
psycholinguistics; queer and feminist linguistic theory; sociolinguistics;
syntax. Candidates with research outputs suitable for submission to REF are
encouraged to apply.

During term-time and in assessment periods, the majority of your work will
involve teaching in a variety of settings, including small group
tutorials/seminars and lectures; assessment; and the provision of pastoral and
academic support to students. You will have an opportunity to work closely
with the CELTA team, as many of our students take the CELTA alongside their
programme. The successful candidate will also be supported in developing a
solid research profile. You are likely to have the opportunity to teach in the
areas in which you research, and to involve your students in your research
through the York St John 'Students-as-Researchers' scheme.

The School of Education, Language and Psychology has recently established a
Research Centre for Language and Social Justice. The successful applicant for
this post will be encouraged to think about ways in which they (and their
students) can contribute towards the development of the Centre. Engaging the
public in the study of language(s) will be an important part of the Centre's
work, and ideas about how this might be achieved, both internationally and
locally, are welcome.

Any informal enquiries should be addressed to the Associate Head of School:
Language, Becky Muradás-Taylor, at the contact email provided below.

Application Deadline: 26-May-2020

Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.yorksj.ac.uk/027-20
Contact Information:
	Becky Muradas- Taylor