31.1633, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Lang Acquisition, Socioling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri May 15 15:42:22 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1633. Fri May 15 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1633, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Lang Acquisition, Socioling/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 11:41:56
From: Charles Chang [cc at bu.edu]
Subject: Emerging Scholars in Linguistics at BU

Full Title: Emerging Scholars in Linguistics at BU

Date: 15-Sep-2020 - 15-May-2021
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Contact Person: Charles Chang
Meeting Email: cc at bu.edu
Web Site: https://bit.ly/emerging-scholars-at-bu

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Jul-2020

Meeting Description:

The Department of Linguistics at Boston University invites (self-)nominations
of junior scholars from underrepresented minority (URM) groups for a new
speaker series to be held in the academic year 2020-21. (Note: by junior
scholars, we mean advanced doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and
early-career faculty, and by URM, we mean racial/ethnic groups historically
underrepresented in the academy -- people of Black/African American, Native
American/Alaska Native, Latinx, and/or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
descent.)

This speaker series will bring emerging scholars in linguistics to Boston
University to share their work with our department and the broader academic
community. We are particularly interested in scholars working on topics in the
area of language acquisition and/or language variation and change. Invited
scholars will be guests of the Department of Linguistics for two days, to
include individual and small-group meetings with faculty and students as well
as a public research colloquium. All travel and accommodation expenses and a
modest honorarium will be covered by Boston University.

Call for Nominations:

What to submit:
(1) a brief description of the scholar and their work, interests, goals,
and/or contribution to making the academy a more inclusive environment (does
not have to be long; a few sentences will suffice), and
(2) a current CV (or link to such). ***SELF-NOMINATIONS ARE VERY WELCOME AND
WILL BE FULLY CONSIDERED.***

How and when to submit: by email to Prof. Charles Chang, Chair of the Emerging
Scholars organizing committee, at cc at bu.edu before July 1, 2020. Nominees will
be notified of an invitation on or before August 31, 2020. Questions may be
addressed to Prof. Chang (cc at bu.edu, +1-617-353-8718).