31.3494, Staff Letter: Joshua Sims

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 13 04:57:54 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3494. Thu Nov 12 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3494, Staff Letter: Joshua Sims

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 23:57:00
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Joshua Sims

Dear Friends of the LINGUIST List:

My name is Joshua Sims, and I’ve been the Systems Administrator at the
LINGUIST List since January. I do the behind-the-scenes work of keeping site
running. I’m here to update your email address, recover your password, edit
post errors and generally work out any problem you encounter that our
submission and request forms can’t cover. Since our offices closed in March,
more than half of my tenure at the LINGUIST List has been remote. You could
call this an interesting year to start working at the LINGUIST List.

I have focused my linguistic work on Mongolian and the languages of Central
Asia. As an undergraduate, I started researching Mongolian phonology, tackling
questions such as the interaction of palatalization and tongue root harmony in
vowel quality.  Indiana University was my top choice for graduate work because
of the close partnership of the linguistics department with the Department of
Central Eurasian Studies and the Center for Languages of the Central Asian
Region.

However, I never could have come and studied here if not for the position I
received at the LINGUIST List.  Because of the work I have here, I have been
able to take courses in Mongolian, Kyrgyz, Manchu and Old Turkic, and study
phonology from excellent linguists working in exactly my areas of interest. If
the LINGUIST List didn’t have the funds to employ students, then my studies
would have remained forever casual endeavors. The LINGUIST list has been
bringing opportunities to linguists for three decades now, just as it has
opened doors to me.

Thank you to every one of you who reads our posts and visits our sites. Thank
you even more to everyone who submits or follows up on the many job and
publication opportunities we post. Thank you most of all to everyone who has
donated to the fund drive, even so much as a dollar. I am so grateful for the
support that provides for my education, and I know all my colleagues feel the
same. We represent only part of a network of thousands of linguists the world
over who have published, graduated or been employed because of a posting on
the LINGUIST List. We all need you, and we all thank you for your continuing
support.

If you are able to make a donation, please visit
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/ today. Thank you!

- Joshua Sims