31.3578, Confs: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Phil of Lang, Pragmatics/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 21 01:49:54 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3578. Fri Nov 20 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3578, Confs: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Phil of Lang, Pragmatics/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 20:49:10
From: Mihaela Popa-Wyatt [popa.michaela at gmail.com]
Subject: Oppressive Speech, Societies & Norms

Oppressive Speech, Societies & Norms

Date: 03-Dec-2020 - 07-May-2021
Location: Online, Germany
Contact: Mihaela Popa-Wyatt
Contact Email: popa.michaela at gmail.com
Meeting URL: https://www.leibniz-zas.de/de/das-zas/veranstaltungen/details/events/5946-modelling-oppressive-speechnorms-a/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics

Meeting Description:

We are delighted to host an online five-series workshop on “Oppressive Speech,
Societies, and Norms”. The source-project is: How Language is Used to Oppress
(HaLO) financed by the  Marie Scklowdoska-Curie Action @ZAS-Berlin.

Speech can be used to change societies in bad ways. It supports institutional
oppression, establishes new oppressive norms, silences opponents, spreads
disinformation and propagates feelings of hate. Online communities magnify the
effects of individual speech acts. This workshop series, comprising five
meetings, will dive into five different aspects of oppressive speech. We’ll
look at social norms and institutions, silencing and free speech, social
meaning, norm-shifting and disinformation. We’ll bring several tools and
perspectives from linguistics, social modelling, and philosophy, including
game theory, semantics/pragmatics and speech act theory. We’ll seek answers to
how oppressive speech works and how to defend against it.

Program Information:

Norms & Institutions: Game Theory 3-4 Dec 2020
José Luis Bermudez
Andrea Borghini
Justin Bruner
Francesco Guala
Christoph Hesse
Roland Mühlenbernd
Cailin O’Connor
Mihaela Popa-Wyatt
Kevin Zollman

Silencing, Speaking up & Free Speech. 28-29 Jan
Louise Antony
Saray Ayala-López
Elisabeth Camp
Bianca Cepollaro
Sanford Goldberg
Rae Langton
Ishani Maitra
Mihaela Popa-Wyatt
Robert Simpson
Alessandra Tanesini

Social Meaning & Semantics/Pragmatics of Harmful Speech 18-19 Feb
Anton Benz
Michael Franke
Robin Jeshion
Justin Khoo
Elin McCready
Roland Mühlenbernd
David Pietraszewski
Uli Sauerland
Eric Swanson
Julia Zakkou

Norms & Practices: Speech Acts & Conversational Dynamics 25-26 March
Nicholas Asher
Stephen Barker
David Beaver
Claudia Bianchi
Elisabeth Camp
Laura Caponetto
Johnathan Ginsburg
Julie Hunter
Mary Kate McGowan
Mihaela Popa-Wyatt
Gillian Russell
Jason Stanley

Disinformation, Epistemic Vices & Online Harm 6-7 May
Quassim Cassam
Raymond Drainville & Jennifer Saul
Anastasia Kozyreva
Manfred Krifka