31.3579, Confs: Disc Analys/Belgium

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 21 01:56:55 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3579. Fri Nov 20 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3579, Confs: Disc Analys/Belgium

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 20:56:37
From: Peter Muntigl [peter.muntigl at ugent.be]
Subject: International Conference on Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy

International Conference on Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy
Short Title: ICCAP

Date: 07-Oct-2021 - 09-Oct-2021
Location: Ghent University, Belgium
Contact: Peter Muntigl
Contact Email: peter.muntigl at ugent.be
Meeting URL: https://www.iccap.ugent.be

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Meeting Description:

The Psychotherapy Relationship

The International Conference on Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy has
been established as an international forum for building and developing
research on psychotherapy from a conversation analytic perspective. In 2021,
the focus of the conference will be the psychotherapy relationship.

Interest in the relationship between therapist and client has been central
from the earliest days of psychotherapy. There is much agreement that the
therapeutic relationship bears a significant relation to treatment outcome; it
can help make therapy effective and provide a healing context for change. Most
of the research on the therapy relationship to date has used quantitative
methods drawn from clients, therapists or observers’ appraisal (e.g., based on
questionnaires or checklist type measures). Much less energy has been
committed to the detailed examination of the specifics of in-therapy events
and how that may develop our qualitative understanding of how a therapy
relationship is achieved through therapists’ and clients’ talk and conduct.

Conversation Analysis (CA), which examines the moment-by-moment sequential
organization of social interaction in everyday and institutional contexts, has
provided many insights into our understanding of how important
psychotherapeutic ‘business’ is accomplished. This includes the psychotherapy
relationship, but also many other kinds of important phenomena grounded in
talk & conduct such as the alliance, empathy, emotional displays, epistemics
and change, just to name a few.

Program Information:

The conference brings together conversation analysts and researchers from
related disciplines who study psychotherapy or other types of mental health
care encounters, such as counselling or psychiatric consultations. We also aim
to further the dialogue between CA, clinical psychotherapy research and
clinical work.

Plenary talks will be given by Robert Elliott and Alexa Hepburn.

The Call for Papers will be available soon.