31.3054, Calls: Cog Sci, Ling Theories, Philosophy of Lang/Germany and Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 8 23:59:05 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3054. Thu Oct 08 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3054, Calls: Cog Sci, Ling Theories, Philosophy of Lang/Germany and Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 19:57:49
From: Julie Goncharov [julie.goncharov at gmail.com]
Subject: Agency and Intentions in Language

Full Title: Agency and Intentions in Language
Short Title: AIL1

Date: 13-Jan-2021 - 15-Jan-2021
Location: Georg-August University of Goettingen, Zoom, Germany
Contact Person: Julie Goncharov
Meeting Email: julie.goncharov at mail.utoronto.ca

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Linguistic Theories; Philosophy of Language

Call Deadline: 07-Dec-2020

Meeting Description:

Our sense of agency and ability to distinguish between intentional and
accidental actions are fundamental for social interaction. They allow us to
plan and perform joint actions and assign responsibility for our own actions
and those of others. Research on the nature of agency and intentions has been
very fruitful over the last few decades both in philosophy and in linguistics.
However, interdisciplinary discussion has rarely taken place.

We are delighted to announce the first interdisciplinary workshop on Agency
and Intentions in Language. The goal of the workshop is to bring together
scholars in linguistics and philosophy interested in questions related to
agency and intentions.

Invited speakers:
Francesco Constantini (University of Udine)
Joshua Knobe (Yale University)
Anna Szabolcsi (NYU)

Call for Papers:

On the linguistic side, we welcome submissions examining any grammatical
phenomena sensitive to the degree of agency or interpretation of an action as
intentional versus accidental, such as controller choice (Farkas 1988),
subjunctive obviation (Ruwet 1991, Schlenker 2005, Costantini 2009, a.o.),
licensing of polarity items (Szabolcsi 2004), aspect choice in Slavic (Forsyth
1970, Paducheva 2013, Despic 2020, a.o.), case marking in ergative split
languages and ‘out-of-control’ morphology. The focus of the workshop is mainly
empirical, so submissions are welcome from all domains of the grammar
(morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, etc.) and irrespective of any
specific theoretical framework. Some of the topics of interest include, but
are not restricted to, the following:
 - ways in which natural languages manifest different degrees of agency or the
distinction between intentional and accidental actions (morphological marking,
syntactic structures, semantic denotations of verbs and adverbials, pragmatic
and contextual differences)
 - connection between agency, intentions, and event structure
 - relation between agency, intentions, and causality

On the side of philosophy, we welcome submissions addressing any aspect
related to the nature of agency, intentions, and acting intentionally. Both
theoretical and empirical research contributing to debates on causal theories
of action, free will, moral responsibility, nature of reasons, and practical
rationality are welcome.

Submissions:
Anonymous abstracts, not exceeding 2 pages (including references and
examples), with font no less than 11 Times New Roman, and 2 cm margins, should
be uploaded on EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ail1)
Presentations will be allotted 30-minutes slots with 15 minutes for Q&A.

Important dates:
- Submission deadline: December 7, 2020
- Notification of acceptance: end of December 2020
- Workshop: January 13-15, 2021 (9h-13h New York time  or 15h-19h Berlin time)

Contact and organization:
Julie Goncharov julie.goncharov at mail.utoronto.ca
Hedde Zeijlstra hzeijls at uni-goettingen.de