31.3053, Calls: Computational Linguistics, Linguistic Theories, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, Lexicography, Cognitive Science / Frontiers in Psychology (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 8 23:15:48 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3053. Thu Oct 08 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3053, Calls:  Computational Linguistics, Linguistic Theories, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, Lexicography, Cognitive Science / Frontiers in Psychology (Jrnl)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2020 19:15:41
From: Richard Lambert [communication at frontiersin.org]

Full Title: Frontiers in Psychology

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Linguistic Theories; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Oct-2020

Call for Papers:

Simple and simplified language

Dear Colleagues,

We are editing a special issue of Frontiers in Communication/Frontiers in
Psychology on simple and simplified languages. Full details at
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/15999/simple-and-simplified-langua
ges

Simple/simplified language refers to any form of written, signed, or spoken
communication that is kept within bounds that are significantly smaller than
generally seen in linguistic communication. Reduced vocabulary (only a few
hundred to a few thousand items), simplified morphology and syntax, iconicity,
and broad reliance on common sense theories are obvious markers of
simplification, but we recognize that in many cases (e.g. in spelling reform)
no such trivial markers exist.

We seek to address this topic from a range of perspectives, including its
psycholinguistic, sociolinguistic, computational, lexicographic,
information-theoretic, and (machine) translation-related aspects. We are
interested in contributions addressing any aspect of the use, adaptation,
measurement, and theory of simple and simplified languages, including, but not
limited to, computational measures of the complexity of language,
investigation of pidginization/creolization processes, studies of grammatical
or structural simplification, experimental studies examining simplification
guidelines, best practices, and communication aides.

Requirements: An abstract should be no longer than 1,000 words, and should
describe original and previously unpublished work. Abstracts should include a
hyperlink to a list of references cited, and must be submitted online no later
than October 31, 2020. Further details are available at the link above.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions,
Sigal Uziel-Karl (sigaluk at gmail.com)
Scott Hale (scott.hale at oii.ox.ac.uk)
Andras Kornai (kornai at sztaki.hu)