31.3107, Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin; Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Curriculum Designer, Duolingo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 14 20:22:57 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3107. Wed Oct 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3107, Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin; Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Curriculum Designer, Duolingo

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 16:22:35
From: Danchen Yang [danchen at duolingo.com]
Subject: Chinese, Mandarin; Japanese; Applied Linguistics: Curriculum Designer, Duolingo, Beijing, China

University or Organization: Duolingo
Department: Learning and Curriculum
Job Location: Beijing, China
Web Address: https://www.duolingo.com/
Job Title: Curriculum Designer for Japanese (for speakers of Chinese)
Job Rank: Curriculum Designer; Other

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Curriculum Design

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
                      Japanese (jpn)

Help improve how millions of people learn languages on Duolingo.

This is a unique opportunity to become part of the founding team of Duolingo’s
China office and work with other talented Duolingo software engineers,
designers, product managers, and learning scientists globally to develop
next-generation education technology that transforms learning. Our ideal
candidate has a degree in language education and experience teaching Japanese
to native speakers of Mandarin Chinese. You will be part of our new initiative
to reimagine and revamp Duolingo courses in China, focusing on how we teach
Japanese. As a member of Duolingo’s broader Learning & Curriculum group, you
will support our efforts to advance Duolingo’s mission through evidence-based
practices. This role is based in Beijing, China.

Responsibilities:
- Help design the curriculum and specific content for the Duolingo Japanese
course for speakers of Mandarin Chinese
- Help create assessments of learners’ language knowledge
- Help recruit, train, and supervise other language experts
- Help communicate the science behind Duolingo’s teaching methodology to a
wider audience

Requirements:
- M.A. (or equivalent experience) in Japanese, linguistics, applied
linguistics, or a related field
- Experience teaching Japanese and/or developing Japanese language curricula
for Mandarin Chinese speakers
- Native or near-native proficiency in Japanese
- Strong working proficiency in both English and Mandarin Chinese
- Familiarity with evidence-based principles of language learning and/or
teaching
- Ability to build language curricula that effectively scaffold the learning
experience
- Ability to think about language analytically (e.g., breaking down
grammatical concepts into smaller parts for the purposes of teaching and
assessment)
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- A desire to make the world a better place through technology

Exceptional candidates will have:
- Project management experience
- Experience supervising others, especially remotely
- At least basic proficiency in other languages (e.g., Korean, French, or
Spanish)

To apply, please see the application link provided below.

Web Address for Applications: https://boards.greenhouse.io/duolingo/jobs/4897955002
Contact Information:
	Danchen Yang
	Email: danchen at duolingo.com