31.3214, Support: Romance; Spanish; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics: PhD, University of Massachusetts at Amherst

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 22 23:24:16 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3214. Thu Oct 22 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3214, Support: Romance; Spanish; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics: PhD, University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 19:23:44
From: Patricia Gubitosi [gubitosi at umass.edu]
Subject: Romance; Spanish; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics: PhD, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, USA

 Institution/Organization: University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Department: Spanish and Portuguese, Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Web Address: https://www.umass.edu/spanport/graduate-spanport

Level: PhD

Duties: Teaching

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

                      Romance

The program in Spanish and Portuguese studies at the University of
Massachusetts Amherst welcomes applications to their M.A. and Ph.D. programs.
Our M.A. in Spanish and Portuguese is geared towards recent graduates and
professionals seeking to further their knowledge of the Spanish- and
Portuguese-speaking world. Our Ph.D. program is geared towards students
seeking to become higher-education teachers and scholars. It has four tracks
offering the opportunity to specialize in Hispanic linguistics, Latin American
literatures and cultures, Iberian literatures and cultures, or Lusophone
literatures and linguistics.

For more details regarding the fields of specialization and graduate mentoring
of our faculty, please see here: https://www.umass.edu/spanport/faculty; for
more information about our programs, see here:
https://www.umass.edu/spanport/graduate-spanport.

UMass belongs to a university consortium known as the Five Colleges, which
also includes Smith College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and
Amherst College. Our graduate students often take courses in the Five
Colleges, and enjoy the intellectual exchange and mentoring of their faculty.

Each Teaching Assistantship covers the cost of tuition and fees (about
$40,075.00 - $56,314.00 a year) as well as health insurance. The salary for a
Teaching Associate for the 2019-2020 academic year was $23,050.00.

TAs teach one language class per semester (3 teaching hours plus 3
tutoring/office hours) during the nine months of the academic year. TAs are
given training before classes and take a methodology class in teaching Spanish
as a foreign language during their first semester.

As students advance in the program, they may request funds for presenting at
academic conferences in order to advance their dissertation research. There
are additional opportunities to apply for research funding from the UMass
Graduate School, depending on the progress of the student in a graduate
program.

Doctoral students receive four years of funding support, if they hold an M.A.
at the time when they enter the program, and five years if they enter the
program without an M.A. Extensions are available depending upon availability.
Doctoral students receive a full tuition waiver and a stipend while they work
as Teaching Associates, teaching one course per semester in the Spanish,
Portuguese, or Catalan languages.

In recent years, our Ph.D. graduates have been placed at institutions like
Amherst College, Colorado College, Columbia University, Drew University,
Fairfield University, Mount Holyoke College, Ohio Wesleyan University, Roanoke
College, Rutgers University-Camden, University of Georgia, University of
Massachusetts-Dartmouth, Wellesley College, Yale University and the Consejo en
Formación de Educación (Uruguay), among others.

You can find the application requirements here:
https://www.umass.edu/gradschool/admissions/admissions-requirements

You may apply online via the application link provided below.

The deadline to apply is February 1, 2021. If you have any questions, please
contact the professor or professors in your area of specialization.
Alternatively, you may also contact the Graduate Program Director, Professor
Meghan Armstrong-Abrami (armstrong at umass.edu). For inquiries after January 1,
2021 please contact the interim Graduate Program Director, Professor David
Rodríguez-Solás (dsolas at umass.edu).

Web Address for Applications: http://www.umass.edu/gradschool/admissions

Contact Information:
	Dr. Meghan Armstrong-Abrami