31.2807, Fund Drive Opening Letter

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 16 03:37:56 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2807. Tue Sep 15 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2807, Fund Drive Opening Letter

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 23:36:22
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fund Drive Opening Letter

Dear Linguists,

It has been an unusual time. Our daily routines came to a sudden halt in
Bloomington, where LINGUIST is located, back in March. For us here and for you
anywhere where linguists are – we have all faced an enormous amount of
challenge in the last couple of months.

For the LINGUIST List, the technical transition was relatively painless. We
have always been inhabitants of the internet and the major change for us is
that our team's weekly meeting is now on zoom. We have been posting fewer
jobs. The conference editor has been juggling hundreds of conference
cancellations and updates. A lot of teaching at universities has changed
radically in the past semester and we gave you a tool to inform or find out
about those changes (check our new Programs site). We have carried on with the
usual LINGUIST List activities, as every day for the last 30 years... Yes, we
wanted to celebrate our 30th birthday this year but few people are probably in
a celebratory mood at the moment. But here we are, for better or for worse
with you for 30 years now.

At the moment the situation is still far from normal. It is also not normal
for the LINGUIST List, especially regarding our financial standing. Our income
from job announcements went down in the Spring months and the institutional
support from our host university is more fragile than ever before, as for any
project associated with education currently. Yet, we are the lucky ones – we
have an income and internet at home.

If you can support the LINGUIST List this year - please do! This is the time
to show solidarity and step in when others cannot. $5 is also OK; if 50% of
our readership would contribute $5 each we would be really well off. We will
be needed to get everybody's professional life back to normal. We hope that we
can help you make it through this difficult time, please help us make it
through, too. I hope not to wake up next year to the new reality without the
LINGUIST List.

Stay well,

Malgosia Cavar