31.2867, An Important Message from One of our Board Members

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 22 18:03:26 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2867. Tue Sep 22 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2867, An Important Message from One of our Board Members

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 14:02:37
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Colleagues,

These are strange and difficult times for all of us, wherever in the world we
live.  Teaching has become somewhat fraught, with urgent demands on our
ability to adapt to new methods and new technologies perhaps faster than we
would like.  Research for some of us continues as it always has, or at least
has since the digitization of so much material, but for others it is much more
difficult if not impossible: think of field work or visits to archives.

We can call, nonetheless, on various support systems, and foremost among them
is the Linguist List. It is 30 years old this year and going strong! I can
remember when it started under the leadership of Anthony Aristar and Helen Dry
– the linguistic community did not take long to realize the great potential of
this new, web-based service. Especially at the beginning, it served as a forum
for discussion – sometimes lively, to say the least – about all things
linguistic. Although that function is less popular given the number of
specialized linguistic sites that exist, Linguist List is still essential to
our professional lives: it is a place to post queries, circulate conference
calls for participants and programs, announce dissertation titles, new books,
jobs… And I am not even mentioning the many data bases and links to other
organizations it supplies. In short, it is still a very necessary part of our
professional lives.

As such, Linguist List needs our support. It has been sustained for most of
its 30 years by contributions from subscribers around the world which
supplement its support from the institution at which it is housed, now Indiana
University, and a few smaller income streams. But they do not suffice,
important as they are, and I am urging you to join me in being a donor.  It
saddens me each year how few of the some 4000 people who receive daily
mailings make a contribution. Some cannot, for many personal and professional
reasons, but many can and should! This is the perfect time to swell the number
of donors to support Linguist List as it supports us.

Sincerely,
Margaret Winters
Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Wayne State University