32.1162, Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Post Doc, Ecole Normale Supérieure

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 1 17:56:13 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1162. Thu Apr 01 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1162, Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Post Doc, Ecole Normale Supérieure

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 13:55:41
From: Alejandrina Cristia [laac.lscp at gmail.com]
Subject: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Post Doc, Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris, France

University or Organization: Ecole Normale Supérieure
Department: DEC LSCP
Job Location: Paris, France
Web Address: https://lscp.dec.ens.fr/en
Job Title: Postdoctoral fellow
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics

Required Language(s): Tsimané (cas)

We are looking for a postdoctoral fellow with a strong background in
linguistics and quantitative methods to develop language tests for
unsupervised language learning models. The languages will typically be low- or
no-resource (currently including Yélî Dnye, Tseltal, Tsimane', and Hebrew).
Examples of the kinds of language tests that we want to adapt to these
languages can be found in the Zero Resource challenge.

Description of the laboratory:
The Laboratory of Cognitive and Psycholinguistic Sciences (LSCP) is a joint
research unit of the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, the Ecole
Normale Supérieure, and the CNRS (National Center for Scientific Research).
Our laboratory is located in the heart of the Quartier Latin of Paris, in the
Department of Cognitive Studies (DEC) of the Ecole Normale Supérieure. The
goal of research at LSCP is to understand the psychological mechanisms
underlying the acquisition and functioning of uniquely human cognitive
functions, such as language, social cognition, and consciousness.

Team description:
The goal of the LAAC team is to shed light on the mechanisms and processes
involved in early language acquisition in a variety of cultures and language
communities. To this end, we use an interdisciplinary approach (ranging from
computer modeling to laboratory experiments and advanced data analyzes) within
the framework of an open, collaborative and publicly engaged science. Read our
mission statement here. Our team will be growing in the next five years thanks
to ERC funding (exelang.fr project). We also work closely with the Cognitive
Machine Learning (CoML) team.

Requirements:
- PhD in linguistics, cognitive science, or related field
- Solid technological background to handle large and sometimes messy datasets
(use of python or bash for data processing, R for statistics desirable)
- Ability to work in teams and good interpersonal skills
- Strong English writing skills are required (note: speaking French is not
required)
- Open science experience will be highly valued
- Experience with linguistics and child language is appreciated but not
required
- Interdisciplinary experience is appreciated but not required

Review of applications will begin on April 7, 2021, on a rolling basis. Please
send the following to the application email provided below:
- A complete CV,
- A 2-page cover letter explaining how you fit the requirements,
- A sample of own writing (e.g., a publication where you wrote the bulk of the
text for),
- (A link to) a sample of computer code you produced, and
- Contact information of two references

Email Address for Applications: laac.lscp at gmail.com
Contact Information:
	Dr. Alejandrina Cristia