32.1174, FYI: Babel Young Writers' Competition

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 2 11:55:50 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1174. Fri Apr 02 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1174, FYI: Babel Young Writers' Competition

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 07:54:34
From: Tristan Miller [tristan.miller at ofai.at]
Subject: Babel Young Writers' Competition

This year, Babel: The Language Magazine (https://babelzine.co.uk/) will be
running the eighth edition of our Young Writers' Competition, which encourages
young linguists who are starting out on their study of language.

The competition is open to all linguistics students in further and higher
education (i.e., at sixth-form, college or university).  If you are a keen
Babel reader and language lover, get writing to be in with a chance of getting
yourself published -- as well as a year's subscription to Babel!

Keep an eye on @Babelzine on Twitter for inspiration from previous winners on
topics ranging from sign language to spoonerisms, and from language birth to
language death.

The winners will be announced in October 2021.  Good luck!

Individual and group prizes
---------------------------

We will publish two winners in our November 2021 issue -- one by an individual
young linguist, and one by a group of young writers. This new option to submit
as a team recognises the importance of group study in linguistics.

This issue's theme: Attitudes to languages

We want to hear your views about and experiences of attitudes to language.
Have you found that your use of certain words winds up older speakers? Has
moving to university made you aware of varying perceptions to do with accent
and dialect?

Guidelines

Deadline: Friday 27 August 2021

Length: Entries must be no more than 2,500 words.

Topic: Entries can be about any topic that has to do with languages and
linguistics -- the important thing is that the article is accessible and
interesting for Babel readers.

Format: Entries should be clearly presented in a Word file, with images
submitted as separate JPEGs.

Submission: Entries should be emailed to babelthelanguagemagazine at gmail.com
with the title "Young Writer's Competition".