32.1175, FYI: The Oxford English Dictionary Text Annotator Tool: be an early adopter

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 2 12:02:04 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1175. Fri Apr 02 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1175, FYI: The Oxford English Dictionary Text Annotator Tool: be an early adopter

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 08:00:55
From: OED Team [oed.uk at oup.com]

When conducting qualitative and quantitative language analysis, the
differences in spelling and meaning of words through time can be a problem.

With this in mind, we are proposing a new Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
experimental product: the OED Text Annotator, which will allow users to input
a digital text, and receive it back with each lexical token annotated with OED
information, including etymology and date range.

We would like to engage with the academic community to gather insights of the
value of such tool, and the best user journey to suit the researchers' needs.

If you are interested in being an early adopter of the OED Text Annotator
prototype too, we kindly ask you to join the OED Researchers Advisory Group.
This is a behind-the-scenes group for academic researchers, and this is where
the discussions and updates for these early stages of the Text Annotator
project will take place.

Request to join:
http://tiny.cc/OED-RAG

Membership is free, but registration is done through a 'request to join' form;
please provide some detail about your academic area/expertise and mention that
you would like to be an early adopter of the OED Text Annotator.

Once you’ve joined the group, you can learn more about the proposed product,
and express interest in testing it on the link below:
https://oed-group.oxfordlanguages.com/tasks/text-annotator-early-adopter/

If you experience any difficulties in the process of joining the OED group, or
accessing the Text Annotator link above, please let us know on oed.uk at oup.com

                     Computational Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Lexicography