32.1446, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics: Researcher, University of Dundee

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 26 17:12:36 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1446. Mon Apr 26 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1446, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics: Researcher, University of Dundee

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:11:55
From: Chris Reed [chris at arg.tech]
Subject: English; Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics: Researcher, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK

University or Organization: University of Dundee
Department: Centre for Argument Technology
Job Location: Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://arg-tech.org/
Job Title: Researcher in Linguistics & Argumentation Theory (fixed term 30 months)
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Centre for Argument Technology at the University of Dundee in Scotland is
looking to appoint a postdoctoral researcher in linguistics and argumentation
theory to contribute to work on a new project in partnership with the
University of Potsdam and the United Nations exploring conflict at UN Security
Council meetings.

Background:
This appointment will be in the Centre for Argument Technology
(https://arg-tech.org/) in Computing within the School of Science and
Engineering. Centre for Argument Technology ARG-tech is one of the world’s
leading research groups in the computational application of theories of
argument. As an interdisciplinary team, we focus on developing foundational
theory in philosophy, linguistics and cognitive science that facilitates the
development of practical AI applications. The goal is to help improve, teach,
track and navigate the discussions and debates that run our governments,
structure scientific research, underpin the corporate boardroom, drive legal
process and frame religious beliefs. Our research has attracted funding of
over £8m, and we have over 200 refereed papers in print.

Role Information:
We are seeking to appoint an outstanding researcher in linguistics &
argumentation theory. We welcome applications from everyone irrespective of
gender or ethnic group. We particularly encourage applications from women and
members of ethnic minorities as they are currently under-represented in posts
at this level. As a global university, we are interested in attracting
candidates working in all parts of the world and can offer relocation support.
The Centre for Argument Technology is a highly interdisciplinary environment,
and candidates should be willing to work across traditional disciplinary
boundaries.

COVID-19 has introduced new ways of working, and it is expected that the post
will involve a ‘soft start’ of working primarily from home, wherever in the
world that may be. Candidates must expect to be available for meetings during
working hours in the UK. As restrictions are relaxed, candidates would then be
expected to relocate to Dundee.

Key responsibilities:
- To explore the role of linguistic features such as emotionality and
vagueness in the discourse of conflict
- To extend existing theories of language and argument structure to account
for phenomena such as reframing
- To build theoretical models of conflict that capture longitudinal shifts in
geopolitical conflict, including shifting positions, increasing consensus and
dissensus, resolution and accommodation
- To work with computational scientists to operationalise these models
- To communicate the results of the work to academic, professional and public
audiences

Person specification:
Essential knowledge and skills. The following experience is essential:
- A PhD in the philosophy of argument, in conversation or linguistic analysis,
in conflict studies or in a closely related area
- Experience of analytical techniques for language
- Understanding of theories of language, argument, debate or conflict

Desirable knowledge and skills. The following experience would be advantageous
though not essential:
- working with models of the structure of argument or debate
- working with models of dialogue and communicative interaction
- exposure to computational models for language processing
- exposure to argument technology
Appointment will be made to Grade 7 (currently £32,817 – £40,322). Start date
by negotiation.

Cover letter to Prof. Chris Reed, Director of the Centre for Argument
Technology, outlining suitability for the role, plus CV with publication list.

Apply online at the application link provided below.

Contact Prof. Chris Reed at the contact information below.

Application Deadline: 14-May-2021

Web Address for Applications: http://arg.tech/2021job02
Contact Information:
	Prof Chris Reed